Extinguishers Banned as a Fire Safety Hazard

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
And now from Merry Old England, New of the Weird...

"Fire extinguishers could be removed from communal areas in flats throughout the country because they are a safety hazard, it has emerged."

It seems that they are worried that an untrained person might attempt to use one, rather than exiting the building.

Extinguishers banned as a fire safety hazard

Some of the comments hit the nail on the head.

"the chances of somebody using a wrong extinguisher will be zero if we had the right extinguisher placed in the area. For example, if we do not have any water extinguishers in the kitchen, people will not be able to use them(which can be unsafe for cooking fires)."
Well then I'd suggest we ban forks and spoons so no one will get fat! (Do I see a pattern here?) :lol: :gig

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haven't you noticed that modern schools and public buildings Do NOT HAVE EXTINGUISHERS? If a fire gets started, the things act like bombs that can 'cook off' with no warning so the rule isn't quite as dumb as it sounds.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
~gd said:
Haven't you noticed that modern schools and public buildings Do NOT HAVE EXTINGUISHERS? If a fire gets started, the things act like bombs that can 'cook off' with no warning so the rule isn't quite as dumb as it sounds.
Think about what you have just typed... If a fire extinguisher gets hot enough to "cook off" and you're standing next to it or holding it, the extinguisher is the last thing that you need to worry about. :rolleyes:

You see less fire extinguishers in modern schools and public buildings today for several reasons. One, because fire codes mandates built in sprinklers and suppression systems in these types of buildings. Two, with our "leave it to the professionals" public safety attitudes, the public is encouraged to leave the building, instead of trying to put out the fire. And three, (I suspect), because of liability issues due to inappropriate usage by untrained persons.

I have trained with and used fire extinguishers in extreme hydrocarbon environments (oil drilling platforms and refineries), if used properly it is amazing the size fire that can be contained or put out using a portable extinguisher.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
~gd said:
Think about what you have just typed... If a fire extinguisher gets hot enough to "cook off" and you're standing next to it or holding it, the extinguisher is the last thing that you need to worry about. :rolleyes:True enough, but I have seen then go through brick walls and land better than a block away, i never said you had to be holding it or standing next to it.

You see less fire extinguishers in modern schools and public buildings today for several reasons. One, because fire codes mandates built in sprinklers and suppression systems in these types of buildings. Two, with our "leave it to the professionals" public safety attitudes, the public is encouraged to leave the building, instead of trying to put out the fire. And three, (I suspect), because of liability issues due to inappropriate usage by untrained persons. Now you are getting to the real meat of the issue and I agree!

I have trained with and used fire extinguishers in extreme hydrocarbon environments (oil drilling platforms and refineries)gee is that worse than being on a Navy Oil tanker with a full load of av-gas, jet fuel, and Black Oil? All hands went to fire fighting school every 3 months ecept when we were deployed overseas for 6 months. When refueling at sea, If someone screws up there is often a small fire, we never had anyone burned~gd, if used properly it is amazing the size fire that can be contained or put out using a portable extinguisher.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
~gd said:
... gee is that worse than being on a Navy Oil tanker with a full load of av-gas, jet fuel, and Black Oil? All hands went to fire fighting school every 3 months ecept when we were deployed overseas for 6 months. When refueling at sea, If someone screws up there is often a small fire, we never had anyone burned~gd
It was never intended to imply that my experience with fire extinguishers was "worse" than that of anyone else, only that I was stating my opinion from some experience. I spent my time in the Navy as a Nuclear Electronics Technician (ETN), and had "some" fire training in that capacity also.

It doesn't change the fact that a fire extinguisher maybe being able to "cook off" has no bearing on why you don't see them in schools and buildings as much.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What do you mean when you say "cook off"? Is that a slang term or a technical term? Those two words used together like that means absolutely nothing to me. Please help us understand. Thanks.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
To me a cook off is something that you have when chefs compete to see who makes the best dish.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Boogity said:
What do you mean when you say "cook off"? Is that a slang term or a technical term? Those two words used together like that means absolutely nothing to me. Please help us understand. Thanks.
What the term is referring to is, a sealed vessel (container) exploding under pressure when heat is applied. It would be like putting water into a closed container and then throwing the container into a fire. When the water heats up and turns to steam, it expands to the point to where the container bursts.

As a point of interest, the term generally used to refer to this in the industry is called a Bleve (pronounced blevy or blevie). it stands for a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. Thought it is more often applied to vessels containing a flammable liquid.

If a fire extinguisher was to due this, it would occur when the extinguisher was directly exposed to flames for a period of time. It is more likely that the danger to persons from an extinguisher exploding would be due to poor or no maintenance. A lack of proper maintenance might allow corrosion to weaken the extinguisher to the point where it fails when pressurized.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks kOxxx. Blevy, hmmmm that's a new one.