Fall garden. I need help

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The slugs are eating my sprouts almost as soon as they emerge--keep finding little green stems with the cotyledons/baby leaves eaten off, not sure we're going to get much of a fall garden :(

Will try some more greens in the greenhouse once the tomatoes are done.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
The slugs are eating my sprouts almost as soon as they emerge--keep finding little green stems with the cotyledons/baby leaves eaten off, not sure we're going to get much of a fall garden :(

I live in the NW Moolie (Oregon), so I know my slugs! Guess what slugs like just as much as we do? BEER! Put a bit out in shallow containers, and lure them to their demise! Use the cheapest beer you can find, it works just fine. It just needs to be deep enough to drown in ;)

My mom lives in Washington State and uses this method in her yard, as it's almsot all shade and the slugs go nuts with all their wet weather.

If you're up for it, you could even brew some of your own over the winter to use in the spring. Keep the bastards from reproducing! It'd be cheaper, and you could have some too!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
moolie said:

I live in the NW Moolie (Oregon), so I know my slugs! Guess what slugs like just as much as we do? BEER! Put a bit out in shallow containers, and lure them to their demise! Use the cheapest beer you can find, it works just fine. It just needs to be deep enough to drown in ;)

My mom lives in Washington State and uses this method in her yard, as it's almsot all shade and the slugs go nuts with all their wet weather.

If you're up for it, you could even brew some of your own over the winter to use in the spring. Keep the bastards from reproducing! It'd be cheaper, and you could have some too!

We're working on it actually, I have put dishes of beer out every night it's not been raining lately and we're finding lots of drowned slugs every morning, but I think this is a particularly bad year for slugs--haven't seen it so bad in over 10 years :( Usually just sprinkling sand around all the slug favourite plants keeps them away, but not this year.

So we're just muddling through. Our spring planted crops get harvested right through fall, so there's only a few blank spots in the garden left from the lettuces, radishes, beets etc.

Grannyjan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My fall garden is partly in with peas, carrots, beets, turnips and lettuce. I will plant some more when this rain stops....

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm in South Central Michigan, and I do different greens...mustard, kale, spinach....I will fill up any vacant areas with leftover long-day onion sets. They won't bulb, but I can still harvest them young all winter. My shallots are in, and garlic will get planted in a couple months. I am trying a second crop of early potatoes since the first crop finished ultra-early. I keep trying to get carrots, beets and the most elusive of all...parsnips to germinate and grow....but to no avail. I don't water consistently enough I don't think. I have thyme, sage, winter savory and rosemary that I harvest fresh all winter....usually the parsley and the fennel hold long into January for late harvesting also. Very few spices in my daily meals come from the store anymore. I would like to try some indoor gardening this winter. Mostly because I have collected quite a few nifty ornamental peppers that I don't want to re-purchase next year. But trying some crops in my basement would be super cool!