family lukewarm to SS

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Coming from my perspective (as a kid'ish) instead of skills why not try something you let them do completely. They do it. Like with chickens. Let them do a project like that where they pick the breeds, feed them, collect the eggs. Thats how I got into Homesteading. Now Im killing animals, canning, collecting eggs and will be milking goats in the spring...but I am no way a typical teen so there ya go.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Coming from my perspective (as a kid'ish) instead of skills why not try something you let them do completely. They do it. Like with chickens. Let them do a project like that where they pick the breeds, feed them, collect the eggs. Thats how I got into Homesteading. Now Im killing animals, canning, collecting eggs and will be milking goats in the spring...but I am no way a typical teen so there ya go.
You rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If your kids are late teens...they are going to have to learn really quick that no worky, no foody.

It's why we have jobs. If they want to be taken as adults then treat them like adults. I PROMISE I am not trying to be mean or confrontational. My son had a huge wake-up call after college when he had to work for his rent, food and gas.

If they act like they don't want to do something then offer them a choice...you can do A or B. But you WILL do one or the other. Okie Dokie?

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My daughter never enjoyed my hobbies and I never expected her to share them. Most kids are much more interested in going to the mall than gardening or tending livestock. I was at that age, too. I would never try to force my interests on someone else. To each their own.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beanie said:
BarredBuff said:
You rock!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!! Id be suprised if I didnt like it, it could "almost" be a genetic condition in my family. Lots of cousins are SS, Granny is SS, Mom is SS. I am to. But Granny is more of a homemaker SS like canning, baking and cooking. Mom is a crafty SS'er like soapmaking, lotion making, household cleaner maker, etc. Im a combo of those two plus my animal stuff and over all SS.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH is "supportive" of my SS undertakings as long as it doesn't involve him having to do any work or spend any money. In other words, he will eat the vegetables I grow, and the butter and home made bread I make. Putting up fencing for goats, getting a generator, digging a cellar--forget about it! I will be paying for the chicken coop he reluctantly built for me, for years, I am sure.:(
Petty personal stuff aside, I agree with previous posters who suggested that you just do what you gotta do. Now that you are into the SS lifestyle, it would be impossible to turn your back on it. Maybe your DW will one day become enlightened and come up with some ideas of her own.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know, the one thing we don't like to consider is that there are people that don't want this lifestyle, anymore than we want theirs. So, our SO might not get any more than lukewarm, but as long as they tolerate us, well, that's got to be good enough.

Same with our kids. I sure don't want to live the lifestyle that my mother has, so I don't expect my adult kids to convert over to my version of 'the good life'. In our family, we all think that being weird and not normal is part of our charm. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I am kinda in the group of...this is your hobby, your way that you wish to change your life. at this late stage the kids are older and following their own leads. It is great to show by example. Do your projects. Enjoy them yourself truly and let the others reap off your rewards. there is no harm in that at all.

eh, teenagers lol...that is truly it. teens. they are not going to jump on a SS lifestyle overnight at all at this age if the interest is not there.

so do your own thing! and enjoy yourself doing it!!! it will be seen by the family. you never know who gets what info and when they will act on it. who knows, when they are in their 30s etc. they might be making their families jump on a SS bandwagon also :)

but forcing a teen will get the opposite results usually :lol:

everyone does not have to like what you like. let them do their thing....you go off and have a blast doing your own thing.
they kids are soaking up the info tho anyway.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
freemotion said:
They are kids and at that age it is pretty normal not to volunteer. They are establishing (in their minds only!) their independence from you. You, as dad, need to remind them that while they are dependent and living under your roof (even when they are over 18), contributing to the good of the household is a requirement. When this is met with resistance, you can show them what the bill is for full room and board, including cook, maid service, laundry, chaufer, landscaping, use of the entire house and property, dental, medical, incidentals, etc. Add some for profit, as that is what you'd do if an outsider came into your home looking to pay you for full care. Then show them the chores they can do to show appreciation for what they are getting for free. A little quick math will show that you are valuing their unskilled labor at several hundred dollars an hour. :lol:

They'll still argue and you'll still have to enforce the rules with consequences, but they will one day look back in appreciation when they recognize the HUGE favor....no, good parenting....that you did that prepared them so thoroughly for life on their own. Trust me on this one. Speaking from personal experience. Wish my parents (particularly mom) were even more demanding.
:bow

:thumbsup

:clap