Family milk cows

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK here is tried and true info

60 days

from last milking to new born calf due!
they must have this recovery time before giving birth.

Barb said if the cow is looking puny to give it 90 days to recover and dry up before the new calf is born.

that is from 40 years in the business with Holsteins.

Also...they do not change the feed at all. All cows feeds stays the same whether in the dry lot or being milked.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmerchick, thanks so much for going to the trouble to help me. That is exactly the info I'm looking for and to get it from someone who "knows" sure helps. I'm glad to know that your friend reinforces what we thought was the right procedure.

Pat, I did try the Backyard Cow forum, but I kept getting kicked off for 3 days. I guess I was meant to ask my question here.........

Strange as it sounds I'm having a problem this time around. I suppose it's because of this cow's temperment and the fact that I've never milked a particular cow an entire lactation. I'm going to miss "visiting" with her everyday. Well, except like today when it's so cold my hands hurt.LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
prariegirl

any cow questions just pop them up and I will call Barb for ya.....there isn't a thing she doesn't know about cows.

to her dismay...:lol:

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
id give my left arm for a milk cow and would give an eye for a friend with a dairy farm so i could get the milk without all the troule

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I want a milk cow, DH wants beef. Go figure. I won't win this one, so I'll be happy with the beef.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's a solution, Aly.....tell him you want a dairy cow bred back to beef and you want to pick up a few beef bottle calves at market and put on her....she will produce enough milk to wean off hers and one or two other calves and then you can have the rest of the milk when they are done!!!

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick, thanks for the offer to help. And, if you get a chance, please tell your friend, Barb, thanks a bunch.

firemn3, for me, most days it's kinda nice to stop the fast pace we live here and milk. I hand milk this gentle cow and it can be a peaceful experience. She listens and doesn't judge, too.LOL
Now, during fly season and this bitter cold we have now, I do have to gear up to get out and get the job done. Having all your own fresh milk, butter, etc. is worth it.

Quail_Antwerp, Beekissed is right. I've not done that, but many others do. We are thinking of doing it this Spring.

With so many wishing for fresh milk, I sometimes feel guilty that we share our extra milk with the pigs. If only we lived closer.........

Latest posts