Farm-Raised Fish Operation

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The son and I had a really good thought-provoking discussion last week. About five years ago, while he was in high school, he helped author, submit, and get approval for a grant to build a hydroponics lab, including including raising fish in the system. I think he is "eyeing" utilizing an acre or so of any new property. LOL. I don't have an issue with this. He seems very interested in the fish raising portion of this. He did get the school set up installed and running, including visiting several fish farms that provide young fish for pond/lake stocking.

Setting aside any regulations, permits, etc., I am looking for thoughts from all of you as to viability?

My initial questions revolve around the marketing of this? Would people buy locally raised fish? Specific species? How would you sell? Whole live fish, just the filets? We have multiple local farmers markets where he could have customers place orders, so we wouldn't necessarily need a store front - although there is a nice former store not far from here with a sales building and about 10 acres of land.

If we could make this work, I think it might be a nice retirement hobby for me. LOL
I agree about raising local fish. I can't really provide any specific species, I believe that depends on what season you'll start.. no need for a storefront, If you're knowledgeable about online advertisements, clients will notify you. my husband's father started raising fish as a hobby about 10 years ago. and they find it extremely lucrative.