FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Figured I might as well join you journal writers, so I don't take over your threads.

We have 22 chickens, 3 new chicks (cornish crosses), 1 rabbit (fertilizer factory), 1 dog (lab cross from shelter, the bestest farm dog ever), 1 old cermudgeony (sp) once feral fat cat, an anole lizard (he was supposed to be dinner for a baby king snake, the snake died, the lizard lived, we call him Rocky), a pond full of goldfish, 2 fancy goldfish in a tank, two foster kittens, and two parakeets that are on vacation at our house (they belong to my daughter and her cats have figured out how to jump to the cage and swing from it)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Well, I guess welcome isn't quite the right thing to say....375 posts into the forum!
Welcome to journaling? There, that works!
I have Dutch and German ancestory on my mother's side. She was born and raised in Upstate NY as was my father. I was born in Rochester but moved to Connecticut when I was 3.
I'm off to check out your pictures! :cool:

Ooooooooo! I am so envious of all that flat sunny garden space!
My son had that same "hot tub". We had to replace it this year. I've been known to enjoy its cooling effects myself on really hot days!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcomes.

I brought Susie inside again. She is our little frizzled hen and she is practically naked. She was a beautifull little chicken, then she started laying eggs. Every day she layed a beautiful good sized white egg. And her feathers started to fall apart. Then she insisted on being broody. I only let her sit for 7 days and gave her some chicks. She has been a good momma to three bantam chicks that are now bigger than she is. I keep bringing her inside to give her really good food and to treat her skin. She gets sunburned, so I put sunblock on her. I have to use the one for sensitive skin, because it stings her.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Susie is just over a year old. That's what you can get when you have a frizzle rooster mate with a frizzle hen, a frazzle. All the advice I received, mostly from BYC was to cull her. The feathers are deficient. I keep trying different things with her, mostly make sure she gets good and enough food and rest. So I bring her inside to give her skin a break from the sun and the other chickens and rolling in the dirt (dust bathing). She doesn't like being inside that much. So I bring her back outside in the late afternoon to be with her "kids".

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Very nice to hear more about you, FarmerDenise! And very nice to see you start your journal..... :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FD, nice to read your journal... love the pics! I am jealous of your beautiful garden :ep

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey FD

Cool pics

BUT that IS one UGLY chicken...HA HA HA HA

Would look "cooked" if you didnt' use sunblock on it..HA HA HA

if a pet, do all you can, if truly for SS reasons then cull her.

Your front yard is nice.....NO MOWING....smart. I like the design and very eye catching! :)