FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
just cinnamon, then? I'm confused.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
*waves flag feebly that baseball is over*

I'm not a baseball fan and it messes up television programming around here. I have only a few shows I watch and baseball was taking up all their time slots.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Well baseball isn't completely over, we have to watch the someone win the World Series (I don't care who wins, I just want to see good baseball).

As most of you know, we had a terrible situation in SE Ohio the past twenty four hours where a man took his own life after freeing his collection of exotic animals. Law enforcement officials, with consultation from folks like Jack Hanna, made the decision to put down most of the animals.

I am not looking for an argument with anyone, I just needed to get this off my chest - I didn't want to hijack anyone else's threads, so I'm posting it here.

From the best knowledge I have, this was a man with many problems. It doesn't justify or condemn his actions, his situation was so bad that he saw suicide as his only way out.

The law enforcement folks have difficult jobs, this was one of those situations that you never have the time or money to train for every possible contingency. Remember when the FAA was instructed to shut down all air traffic on 9/11? These are events so rare that is sometimes doesn't even seem possible. I've seen public comments out on national news sites that were basically demanding that someone should be held accountable because law enforcement didn't all have tranquilizer guns and nets to capture all the animals alive. As expected, politics are playing into this too, which I can't stand.

The officers involved had to make a very tough decision, try to save the animals, or risk humans getting hurt. There was report tonight of one of the big cats was first spotted last night chasing horses. Whether the decision was right or wrong, these folks will be dogged by their part in the past 24 hours for the rest of their lives.

The animals. Wow. I thought I saw they were taken in because they had nowhere else to go and would have been destroyed. For a wild animal, death or a caged existence. I have no idea what is the proper moral choice. I don't have a high enough moral pay grade to know what is the "right" choice.

My prayers tonight are for the man that took his own life, law enforcement officers who had to make very difficult decisions, the animals, and for all of us that were touched emotionally one way or another in the past 24 hours.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow I did not hear about that.

FJ it is what it is ya know. sad situation all around. But what happens will have to happen. People do the best they can in just over the top crazy situations. just so sad tho all that mess...ugh

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow I did not hear about that.

FJ it is what it is ya know. sad situation all around. But what happens will have to happen. People do the best they can in just over the top crazy situations. just so sad tho all that mess...ugh
Yep, FarmerChick, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks for the concise summary. :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
It is a sad situation all the way around. I can't fault anyone charged with protecting public safety.