FarmerJamie - A new beginning

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even with all the electronic entertainment available, I still prefer a good book. The main reason y'all even see me on here as often as you do is because I don't have any new books in my library. Soon as the next Liaden novel comes I will disappear for a few days, lol.

I thought it was really interesting that just about the only building that remained untouched by looters during Katrina was the public library...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is great that y'all are looking for property now, it has been a long time for you. Since our moving to our 8 acres, I have been in Nirvana. We have never been happier, growing vegetables, having my horses, raising meat from sheep, chickens and feeder pigs. I hope that you find your perfect place so you can have your garden, fruit trees, chickens and whatever you wish.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Even with all the electronic entertainment available, I still prefer a good book. The main reason y'all even see me on here as often as you do is because I don't have any new books in my library. Soon as the next Liaden novel comes I will disappear for a few days, lol.

I thought it was really interesting that just about the only building that remained untouched by looters during Katrina was the public library...

i will reread and reread. i have for really dire times volumes 1-3,5-26 of the Harvard Classics 5 Foot Shelf of books. i need to get vol 4 and the rest sometime...

i will share! :) too bad everyone is always so far away. someone really needs to invent those teleporter booths. well, ok, i'm not really a huge fan of pop-ins, but at least it would be nice to visit once in a while and see what people are doing in the gardens and scoping out their book shelves...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It is great that y'all are looking for property now, it has been a long time for you. Since our moving to our 8 acres, I have been in Nirvana. We have never been happier, growing vegetables, having my horses, raising meat from sheep, chickens and feeder pigs. I hope that you find your perfect place so you can have your garden, fruit trees, chickens and whatever you wish.
@baymule thanks for acknowledging the drought 7 years. We are actually looking at a few lots in the 8 acre range. One is currently a farm field, one is completely wooded, and several in between. I am leaning to the first one, since it is a blank slate, giving us the opportunity to build. Lots of thoughts and options swirling through our heads. LOL

Stay tuned.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know this is exciting for you! It's always nice to find a place that makes you happy....whatever that may be. We're all along for the ride.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is a place we pass on the way to town. They bought two gambrel roofed portable buildings and built a room linking them together. There is a covered deck all the way around it, very cool even in the heat of summer. They scrounged for practically all their building materials, something I sure can identify with! Y'all could buy your land, set up a portable building, add toilet, shower stall and sink in one corner, stove refrigerator and sink in another corner, then set up a bed and something to sit on. Get that paid off, get another one. Or maybe you could buy 2 and get a better deal. This couple has a nice place and it didn't cost them an arm and a leg.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I've mentioned my eldest just got married, the blessings continue. My new SIL's job is about 2 hours away. They were approved for dog-friendly apartment, and DD was offered a new job this week! Very excited for them. Trying to figure out a good time for them to swing by and pick up stuff for her that I have been storing/holding onto since the divorce.

Small steps

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when the local library was getting rid of a lot of reference books i picked up any of the Foxfire books i could in hardcover. wouldn't mind having the rest. i'd happily live in a library if i could. i've certainly spent a lot of time in them as a kid and also as an adult... :) i worked part time as a librarian and did volunteer time. i keep shelves here stocked with references and plenty of reading materials just in case the end of civilisation happens and i need something to read until it reboots again.

Love...love...love me a library. I grew up in one...or maybe 2. And when I married a military man, I went and got library cards to every library in the cities and towns we lived in. Internet in NO way replaces the joy of the scent of an open book. :p

Latest posts