FarmerJamie - A new beginning

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The public library in the small town nearby is only open from 10 to 5 Mon thru Friday. I work 30 minutes in the opposite direction from 8 to 5. :( They are open from 10-12 on Sat during the winter months - so Oct thru April.
I have a library card and can download some of the books onto my laptop to read though.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i read e-books when i can, but a recent software upgrade of the library website is making things difficult at the moment.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have SAD also, but fairly mild. Best thing that worked for me was extra Vitamin D in the winter; no idea why. I didn't take it for that purpose, but realized that I was staying on top of it after a while.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I have SAD also, but fairly mild. Best thing that worked for me was extra Vitamin D in the winter; no idea why. I didn't take it for that purpose, but realized that I was staying on top of it after a while.
Taking vitamin D already specifically for it. Need a little boost

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

My hubby also has winter doldrums. I made him start taking Vit D last fall, and he noted in the spring: "I didn't get depressed this winter!" His energy level was higher, and he stayed much more engaged in activities. At a diagnostic work up several years ago, I was discussing bone density. The tech who was doing my test gave me more useful information than any medical professional has ever given me on ANY topic. She used to work with a local doc who was on the leading edge of studies about women's endocrine issues, particularly as they pertain to osteoporosis. Per this tech: at our lattitude, there simply is not enough sunlight for a person to manufacture enough vitamin D, with the exception of a person who spends a LOT of time outdoors, with a lot of bare skin, and only then at the peak of summer. Per the info from the studies done: Vitamin D supplements work to facilitate the uptake of calcium, work to cut effects of SAD, and help with melatonin production. Vitamin D is best absorbed in the morning. Hubby and I both take it year round.

As we age, our ability to manufacture Vitamin D decreases. All the more reason to be taking supplement!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i used to get really bad in the late spring. right when you'd think that you'd be feeling better because the days were getting longer and warmer and such.

then one year it stopped and i figured out in retrospect what happened. i talked myself out of it.

now i break the winter into stages. and we are starting the hardest part now for about the next 60 days where the days get so short and then start getting longer again. so to me i think of Dec 21st as Hump Day. once i get past that day then the days start getting longer again and i just keep telling myself that spring is coming. each day after that is progress and my head seems good knowing i'm up on the uphill side and not on the downhill slide.

i keep really busy all winter getting caught up on things i let slack all gardening season so instead of moping around too much i can poke myself to get going and get something done or read a book.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also see Dec. 21 as being "hump day". When all is gloomy and miserable, when my nose hairs freeze, when my teeth hurt from the cold, when yet an other blizzard dumps yet an other 18" of snow before we've even dug out from under the last load, when I'm out at 10 PM, knocking snow off the chicken's tarp sunroof so the structure doesn't collapse, I can simply smile at folks, and say: "Spring is on the way!" I love ground hog day, because that really starts the count down.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Technically, according to the old Celtic calendar, Feb 2 is the first day of spring, and Halloween is the first day of winter. Then you have May 1 as the first day of summer and August 2 as the first day of fall. The equinoxes and soltices were the MIDDLE of the season (that's why the play was called Midsummer Night's Dream, y'all.

Latest posts