farmer's markets and eggs

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I don't have the size flock that Karen does, I have a backyard flock of 35 right now.
So even if I sell only a few dozen a week, that would cover my feed costs. I should be selling more like 20 dozen or so with the hens I have now, so there should be a decent profit since I don't have to spend that much on feed, they free range all day and that helps cut down on feed cost.
If I sell my eggs for $4.50 per dozen and I sell 20 dozen, I make $90.00.
If you do it every week, thats $360.00 for the month.
I spend like $20.00 a month for feed so thats roughly a $340.00 profit .
If you do that for the 6 months that our farmer's market is open, its like $2040.00 or so.
I bought stickers for like a buck or so, that asks customers to return the egg cartons to me for reuse, hopefully at least some of the will.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a flock of 26, they lay eggs of all colors and all the dozens I sell are mixed colors. I sell for only $2.oo a dozen because the other person that sells at the market sells for $1.75 and any thing over the $2.00 mark does not sell! I keep mine in an extra fridge.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
yeah, I have the rainbow assortment as well, so I think they will sell well. Another lady at one of the markets sells a dozen of the brown eggs for $4.00 and I have seen the others up to $5.00.
I have the dark brown, brown, white and the blue and green, so I think they will sell very well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner
Don't ya hate that when someone locks in a lower price and they ruin the market for ya...LOL----at one of my farmers markets they sell eggs for $2 dozen. We do not sell the eggs at that market, only my soap, produce and sausage. I sell the eggs all at Charlotte for $3.75--cause I ain't selling at a loss and the other "old" farmers will not increase their prices.....go figure?

worse thing is when I compete with backyard gardeners. they raise about a 40 x 40 garden in their backyard and sell produce very cheap. kills me. I have to sell at higher prices to provide an income to continue farming, they are just unloading their excess produce. if they sell they should at least price at real prices to keep the market steady. but the good thing about a backyard gardener, their sell time is limited and they leave the market quicker since they run out ...lol...so I don't have to compete long with them..lol

ya can't win :) even though I try..HA HA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The lady that sells the eggs also sells her "extra" garden produce. Like you said at least she runs out fairly soon. I have tried raising my prices on days I know she does not attend but people keep asking.."I paid $2.00 on Saturday, why is it different today. So I just sell for the same price all the time now. The good thing is I do have some regular customers who buy from me not at the market. These customers will purchase year round, our market season is only 3 months, and they pay a little more. Plus, I have it worked out so that most bring me the cartons back.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it is hard to flucuatate too much on prices from one week to the next. the backyard gardener is just unloading extra for some cash, we need to do this for income, so it can get quite hairy at times...LOL...but there is a huge enough customer base that everyone makes money and no reason for me not to smile..HA HA

Alot of times I am always higher than everyone else at the market. If green beans are listed for $1/lb say, then I am $1.50 a lb and I get it. Loyal customers plus I explain that mine are better than the others....it works. Sometimes human nature the person buys the little higher priced item thinking it is truly better than the lower priced item. Go figure? So if you are .25 higher than everyone else, plug that yours is better...etc....it works...LOL

I never give my stuff away ever at the market. I set fair prices. My farmer market guide book says that farmer produce should be 20% higher than grocery store prices cause we are fresh and local. I definitely take that advice.

The New Farmers Market by Corum, Rosenzweig & Gibson is a great book from set up of stands to how to price, to how to incorporate value added items, etc. I learned alot from it and have been doing this now for over 10 years.

Farmers markets are fun, social type places and I love working them.

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I enjoy the market as well, I just wish we had a longer season! :D Living in Minnesota it seems the market season is very short!! We open in June and there are just a few weeks left. :( You need to make the best of it while you can. Most people at the market know me. We have been business owners in this community for a long time. People know that I am fair with my prices and my produce is very nice, and most know how I care for my plants and animals. Meaning I do not use chemicals and my animals are spoiled rotten!! :love I think that this too makes a big difference!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Absolutely it all makes a difference.
Personality, knowledge about farming and tales from the farm --people love chatting about it, plus showing good work ethics and good growing techniques...you can't go wrong.

There is a guy at Charlotte that sells goat milk soap and he is flat out mean to customers. I gained MANY of his customers and they say, psst, hey, that guy is nasty...LOL...hey I like he is rotten, I gained tons of income from him..HA HA

So nice equals good customers!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
What a great conversation! I just started doing farmer's markets last year. I came into it with the attitude that people were getting fresher, better produce than ANYthing they could find in the store, that the produce should be priced to reflect that. Some of the older market sellers were like, "Hey! Maybe we'll go higher on ours, too!" Things were priced dirt cheap, no way to make a living.

I think it's true, too, that if you are helpful, friendly and consistently provide quality food, lots of people are willing to pay more for it. Plus, being completely accountable to the buyer, making them feel welcome to ask questions about how their food is grown/raised--that's huge!

I'd LOVE to come to your markets and see your wonderful produce and eggs, FC and NO!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals
you started the markets last year, well then each year will get better and better. alot is trial and error and then the customers become loyal and such. I have so many repeat customers (well, friends now..LOL)

great social place and you get to chat about farming and livestock to people who want to listen...HA HA....my "non-farming" friends could care less about hog conversations or crop failures.....but my customers at the market are intrigued.

best of luck and hope it all improves great for you.......and yes, never under price fresh product! we can't, we need to be a real expense and cost operation, any of us do that want to produce and sell. Always come home with a profit! :)

Also, make great signs! Also if you have an abundance of squash or something, offer recipe papers along with a sale. It helps them buy more when they see what delish things they can make! I do that and it works for larger sales. And small info on how to freeze the produce also. Customers love all that.

And think