farmer's markets and eggs

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
FC, thanks for all the helpful tips! Here's a question for you: When calculating profit versus loss, do you factor in your time? If so, at what value per hour?

I LOVE the markets, but I made the decision this year to focus more on continuing my small CSA for 10 families. CSAs are great for having a set customer base, but there's nothing like the socializing at a market. And what an excellent place to learn from my fellow sellers, who are almost all wonderfully friendly and helpful (I think it helps that at 33 I am by far the youngest one there and must have a glowing "I need help" sign on my forehead :) ) Anyway, I've just gone this year when I've had loads of something extra (garlic, sweetcorn and blackberries this year).

So, sorry to hijack this conversation briefly, but it's a great one!

With grain prices skyrocketing, is anyong going higher on their eggs? I have mine at $2/dozen, a beautiful, colorful assortment of extra large eggs, delivered. With lots of small farms around, there are still plenty of people who sell them right off the farm for $1/dozen. On the other hand, brown cage-free eggs in the store are more than $2/dozen. Plus, I hate to jump by increments less than a dollar. Who wants to mess around with quarters? But, jumping straight up to $3 seems a bit frightful...

Latest posts