Farmer's Markets

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So I have found another opportunity to possibly make a bit of income. BUT...there's always a but :p I'm not sure we have quite enough produce to just go crazy selling it at a farmer's market. Tomorrow I am going to get a permit to sell if there are any still available, and well...we'll go from there I s'pose. My question is....what kind of things other than fruits/veggies interest you most at farmer's markets? I need some ideas for products to offer to compound on the bit of produce I can spare...I know..sounds crazy huh? So what? I'm weird. There are no jobs here so I am inventing one :hu actually another one..but anyway. I've come up with bread and pasta, maybe the occassional herb I can spare, and eggs, possibly other baked goods like fried pies and cakes? Homemade rock candy/fudge, etc.? I dunno. I don't frequent many big farmer's markets. I need ideas on things that draw folks attention at farmer's markets and by attention I mean SALES preferrably lots and lots of sales. :lol: Any ideas?

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
whimsical local handmade art.

local handcrafted goods

nothing too crazy but you know the small easy to carry type you can hang on a peg at eye level.

anything bright / shiny displayed from 3ft to 6ft at each end of the stall but only put out a few things unevenly spaced as if its the last few left.

works for most retail places i've worked at. in fact box stores spent millions on the dime i just dropped.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip whingnut!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Jelly? Jam? Lotion bars? Soap??
:hu
Hmm....wonder if the laundry soap would sell well there? I may try it in small quantities. I don't make bar soap. Jams might do well too :D I'll add that to my list ;) Thanks!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Laundry soap is CHEAP to make, but people don't know that, so you should be able to get pretty good prices on it, too! :D

The lotion bars are pretty simple, too, I am still tweaking mine (gotta get a kitchen scale, I swear!), but they are very simple and pretty quick (melt all ingredients (only 3), stir, add any oils or scents, pour into molds, let set)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Laundry soap is CHEAP to make, but people don't know that, so you should be able to get pretty good prices on it, too! :D

The lotion bars are pretty simple, too, I am still tweaking mine (gotta get a kitchen scale, I swear!), but they are very simple and pretty quick (melt all ingredients (only 3), stir, add any oils or scents, pour into molds, let set)
So what are the ingredients? Do you mind sharing your recipe?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can use pretty much anything for a lotion bar... The standard ratio is 1:1:1... 1 part liquid oil, 1 part solid butter, 1 part beeswax.

ETA: (I always read the last post, hurry up and post, then remember, DUH there's a whole lotta other stuff I saw first that I wanted to respond to!!!) Fudge would probably be a really good one... There's always a huge line at the fudge seller at the fair here, and they charge like $8/lb. If I remember correctly, it didn't cost nearly that much to make it at home! Laundry soap is another good idea. Maybe start small with the things that are perishable that you cannot keep at home (breads and stuff you can freeze and such), because you just never know if you'll sell out or not.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
So what are the ingredients? Do you mind sharing your recipe?
For which? Both? Of course :)

Liquid laundry detergent is from this web site: http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html
I'll add the caveat that when we made it, we didn't "cut it" with water when we used it. We used one of the small caps of the "concentrate" laundry detergent that I had left over (night the super concentrate, but not the regular either, the size in the middle). It makes 5 gallons at a time, which is a lot to store, which is why I switched to powdered detergent.

For the powder I use a recipe someone posted on here I think...

1 bar Fels Naptha grated fine
3 cups Washing Soda
3 cups Borax
1 cup Baking Soda

However, I removed the Borax and replaced it with more Baking Soda and Washing Soda since Borax isn't so good for the environment and we're on septic tanks. Thus far I have been really pleased with it, and I use a bit more than 1 TBSP per load. I am able to use it in cold water with no trouble.

As for the lotion bars, they are super simple too (and I think they are quite luxurious because you don't find them much in stores and things)
I found a recipe here: http://frugalkiwi.co.nz/2011/12/solid-lotion-bar-recipe/

Basically it is a 1:1:1 weight ratio of liquid ingredient, semi liquid ingredient, and solid ingredient (usually beeswax). My first attempt was avocado oil, shea butter, and beeswax. The first time I made them, I did volume rather than weight as I don't have a kitchen scale yet, and didn't get enough beeswax. Had to remelt them and then add more beeswax. I feel like I could add a little more but I don't know that I want to go through the melting process again. I add essential oils for healing to them, the first batch is for my mom for her arthritis.

I've been collecting recipes like this in the hope that I can put things together to sell eventually.

Please let me know how it all works!

Latest posts