Farmfresh City Homesteader - the sound of falling oaks.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At some point you have to cover pasty butt... maybe the TSC employeese will learn too ;)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
ACV to help perk them up. I learned that from here. It really does help the little buggers though.

I would definitely cover having to cull birds for one reason or another. Some people just don't get it that you can't fix certain things and the only answer is to humanely cull a bird.

You could also cover alternative food sources. I can't tell you how many people I have talked to that don't realize that chickens will eat table scraps, veggies, and meat scraps. Lots of people don't realize they eat grass either. :rolleyes:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd do a class on rooster mentality and how to help him maintain his sanity. Also, could do a thing on eggs, like when to expect them, explaining the purpose of added calciumm to hens diets when they get ready, natural worming, etc. There is a lot to be covered with chickens! Wish our TSC would have something like this.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd point out predator protection and that chickens are birds and do best when allowed to adapt to the weather - heat lamps not necessary.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yep, go over housing issues and why ventilation is necessary!

There is a local person on our CL that sells "beginner chicken packages" He sells a chicken tractor with 4-6 chicks and a starter bag of feed for a nominal fee. Seems to be working for him. Hubby and I have been considering doing something similar down the road.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I saw Wannabefree mention about chicken classes, but last year for Earth Day at the schools I did the Sustainable Chicken. It was a big hit I brought adults and chicks. Feed examples, egg comparisons, lots of pictures and I spoke a lot. It was good.......... I hope I get reinvited.........

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto to BBuff.... if the arrangements will allow I would do both. When people are just walking by you have to pick and choose what info you give, because you don't know how long they will hang around; if there is a structured time then you know you have an audience.