Fast Money ... Advice Needed

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
As for disability payments, they are so low it is pathetic. My son is low functioning autistic and gets around $400/month. He only got that once he turned 18.
Ya, no kidding. I know of two instances that it took for-ev-er to qualify (they both were severely disabled, not looking for a handout), and what they get each month is not nearly enough.

You might end up better off inside of Denver. Maybe qualify for low income housing, etc. I agree, talk to a social worker and see what your options are.

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Can you make things and sell at flea markets and craft fairs? I am pretty sure they do not have a 1099. :)

If you qualify for disabilty I think you would also qualify for state run insurance as well as food stamps. :hugs I do hope the therapy works for your family though and your husband improves so you won't have to worry about all this. (yes I am forever the hopeful optimist ;) )

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If your child is considered disabled, you may be able to get benifits for the teen also..

If you can make crafts, grow vegis, do vegi starts. Those can all be sold at farmers markets or craft fairs. No reporting there, so it is basically under the table.

Ive been selling on ebay since 2007, that is how I pay my phone and internet bill. I have never had a 1099 from it. Ebay does not report your earnings there. But just dont open a store, Ive heard some people say that that considers you a business. And even though ebay doesnt report. Some times some states will search for the ebay stores and try to make them pay taxes. Just to be on the safe side. In auctions, state that you are just selling your personal possessions that you no longer want, and you are not a business.

There is also craigslist to sell on.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses.

HolaChicka: My hands don't work very well and I suffer from debilitating migraines (among other things) so refinishing furniture probably wouldn't work well. Have done medical transcription and other things (Used to be a secretary) but every place I've found requires above-table income reporting.

SKR8PN: Skills: Secretarial until my hands stopped working. I make glycerine soap but it's not pretty enough to sell. Used to run a publishing business. In-home daycare (but live in the boonies now ... could restart after moving closer to Denver). Acting/modeling but that was 100 lbs ago! Gardening in pots but don't raise enough to eat and sell.

DenimDeb: good idea. thanks.

~gd: i do collect disability but it's not enough to pay all bills, and my Teen won't qualify for his own until he's 18. Staying here another 4 years waiting for it to kick in won't work.

Wifezilla: Something to think about ... :/ ... not sure i would have the patience to care for other disabled teens. Mine is sometimes more than I can handle.

Marianne: I absolutely plan to continue working towards SS. I misspoke. It's paypal that's supposed to start sending out 1099s when a certain level of income is reached. But that's how I get my money. Perhaps I could continue e-bay but require checks only? As for being inside Denver, I'm thinking about it but won't be able to keep chickens and goats and my kid really needs a clean source of protein and dairy. Will give it more thought.

MysticScorpio82: There's a great flea market in the Denver area ... Fri-Sun. They have the honor system for reporting. Have thought about doing it again. Will give it more thought. Thanks for the optimism.... hope so too.

Sunny: See above ... it was paypal but that's what I used when I sold on ebay. Will figure out how I can do it without paypal. I have lots of stuff hanging around here that can go ... getting out of my hoarding phase. Will give craigslist a thought too.

Thanks again, all. You've given me lots to think about.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Selling on CL is better than selling on Ebay. No fees, no or low shipping generally speaking, and all cash. Just an idea.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
do your hands work enough to clean a few homes? take on a few,,,,and you don't have to report that money if you keep the clients small.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alot of missing info here, but these come to mind......

1. Are you on STATE or FEDERAL (Social Security) disability? Or does CO even have its own system?

2. I'm guessing here that hubby ISN'T teens bio dad & if not, can you get child support from real dad? Also, have you tried to tap into any benefits from his source?

3. Yes apply for food stamps, cash & medicaid for yourself & teen. In fact, I'm surprised you aren't already getting some kind of disability medical.

4. You may not be able to get any additional benefits UNTIL you leave hubby, but not as long as you're still together.

5. Any family or friends to help out?

6. Get a roommate to share costs? or see if anyone is renting out a MIL apartment on their property?

7. House cleaning, pet sitting, and other odd jobs either for cash or barter?

8. experiment with your soap to pretty it up some and don't be so hard on yourself, it's probably just fine.

just a few more ideas to think about...good luck :thumbsup

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My hands do work enough to clean a little but not enough to do a good enough job for other people. my teen helps me clean at home.

on federal ssdi. i qualify for medicaid when dropped from hubby's insurance so i'm only concerned about co-pays when that happens. no help from bio dad, and right now family and friends have it rough too.

i like that mil apartment idea ... i wonder ... if it comes to that, perhaps i could advertise nanny services in exchange for mil apt and place for my goats/chickens. aren't there a lot of families out in the boonies that have kids? would have to be non-religious tho. that cuts out a lot. ok... gotta give that more thought.

i'll work on my soap. smells great and i like the colors i match with the fragrances but i get too many bubbles in the finished product, and can't do it in the winter (humidity wrong).

thanks for the ideas. trying to read other threads in this finance section. and care for the critters! just found a hidden nest of eggs so since i don't know how old they are (only 1-2 days old), gonna scramble and feed back to them. plus getting this teen to take a shower is HARD! hygiene is one of the autism areas we're working on.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you could take your teen....give the harder work to younger hands
and you would finish faster and get paid in cash!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
R-Lawrence said:
i like that mil apartment idea ... i wonder ... if it comes to that, perhaps i could advertise nanny services in exchange for mil apt and place for my goats/chickens. aren't there a lot of families out in the boonies that have kids? would have to be non-religious tho. that cuts out a lot. ok... gotta give that more thought.

i'll work on my soap. smells great and i like the colors i match with the fragrances but i get too many bubbles in the finished product, and can't do it in the winter (humidity wrong).
For what it's worth, I would buy soap with some bubbles in it... it just makes it look more real and homemade. :)

I think the idea of finding a place to live with a family in the boonies is a great idea. When I go back to work I will spend close to $500/month to have my daughter in a daycare for three days a week... if I could find someone that I could trust and would live with us, look after her and help around the house I would be over the moon happy about that.

I have a business paypal account, but I've never gotten any tax forms from them... I only sell a few things a month though so maybe it's different once your selling more than a few hundred a month... (plus I'm in Canada)