Fast Money ... Advice Needed

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here's what I've done today.

Sat and thought and thought and thought. And did more thinking while I cleaned out an empty brooder coop and moved some chicks from inside the house into it (in the garage). Then did more thinking while I advertised chicks for sale on craigslist.

Then called a friend. She's willing to accept mail for me. And forward it on to me once a week.

Made a list of my interests and what I am experienced in. What will leave me time for my Teen's therapies and doctor appointments and special schooling.

I'm gonna publish 3 separate but related newsletters. Snail mail and e-mail. So need to get a blog going. Need to do mockups. Need to start researching and planning them. Then writing, marketing, and hopefully, mailing. I already have a separate bank account.

When and if we need to leave, I'll look for a MIL apt on a farm for someone who needs a part-time but on-call nanny.

Thanks so much for everything.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You might think of relocating where the housing is not so expensive. Might making living on a small fixed income easier.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Saving: Considering moving but would need to move where my kid could get good help with his developmental problems. Where I can homeschool him AND get special help, where we can be near my beloved mountains, and where I can get a decent house on an acre or two to keep my goats and chickens and nut/fruit trees and bushes.

Yes, I'm thinking about it.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a person on social security disability is allowed to have some income, maybe $1200 a month or something similar. I know when you are applying for disability you can't have any earned income, but I think once you get approved, you can legally work some. I would check if I were you.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, SOME additional income is allowed. Last time I checked it was $600 a month. Or year. I forget. Need to look it up again. Thanks for the reminder.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I'm pretty sure a person on social security disability is allowed to have some income, maybe $1200 a month or something similar. I know when you are applying for disability you can't have any earned income, but I think once you get approved, you can legally work some. I would check if I were you.
I believe this is correct. I know someone who is able to work a little despite being disabled. He has a certain amount he may earn every month before they reduce his benefits.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
House setting for folks with pets is another option. My neighbor just found a lady that took care of their cats while they were on vacation.( We would have done it for them, but my wife just had BOTH feet operated on and our oldest dog decided to tear her ACL the same day the wife had her surgery. I have been a bit busy taking care of those two AND running my shop)
ANYWAY.....this lady stopped by once a day, picked up their mail fed both cats and spent about an hour playing with them. When she left, she always switched on different lights and moved a car around to make it look like someone was still home. 24 bucks a day. CASH. She could easily do 3-4 clients per day. Did I mention CASH MONEY. No checks-no BS.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
The hardest part is you are not allowed to have any savings on disability.

You are allowed to make a small amount of money and while that won't lose your disability, it can negatively impact a review.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
abifae said:

You are allowed to make a small amount of money and while that won't lose your disability, it can negatively impact a review.
I'm about to go on disability....what do you mean, not allowed to have any savings?

And the second remark, do you mean if you are earning some sort of income while on disability, they may consider you not disabled next review?

I have been trying to figure out what I could do to earn a little money here at home. But not if that means I'd have to start working full time again, I can't manage that.

I guess they want disabled people to be poor. But the part about savings is ridiculous. If I manage to set some money aside that means I have too much? :he

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
abifae said:
This is why you have a mattress. No law says you have to keep your money in a bank where there is a record of it. BUT, you can however, have a safe deposit box to store stuff in......

abifae said:
That's why cash is king.......
No records means no proof=No loss of benefits.