favorit cheap dinner

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Fresh beef patties that were grass fed and no additives, cooked over a cherry wood fire. When they are done, add a bun, a slice of homegrown 'mator, homegrown lettuce, home made mayonnaise made with eggs fresh out of the chicken, and dill pickles on a home baked bun. It may not be the cheapest or easiest as far as labor goes, but it sure does taste good!!!

:thumbsup
You win!:drool

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My favorite cheap meal is simply homemade bread and whatever soup I can create with what I have on hand.

Slinkytoys

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Heat up a can of cream of mushroom soup with just 1/3 of the added water or milk and pour it over some cooked egg noodles. You can add some leftover vegetables if you have some. Yum. Easy peasy especially for the kiddos.
Slinky

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ground beef and cabbage cooked in butter with some spices. Costs about 75 per person to feed and it really tastes good.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Ground beef and cabbage cooked in butter with some spices. Costs about 75 per person to feed and it really tastes good.
Mmmmmm, when I get my stomach back I'll have to try that one (I'm abandoning my vegetarian ways after this).
Right now my fave meal for the fam is quiche. Any kind of quiche. I use my own fresh eggs with whatever veggies I have frozen from the garden and sausage, ham, bacon or whatever. Sour cream and cheese make it less cheap but oh, so much better tasting.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone posted this one yet. I don't feel like reading every post right now ;)

I love fried rice and chow mein noodles. I use left over rice or noodles for this dish as well as left over meat.

Prepare seasoning sauce: chop some garlic and ginger root and add it to about 1/4 cup soy sauce, add 1 ts sugar and a crushed hot pepper and let it sit.

Sautee some onion, garlic and whatever veggies you have on hand (carrots, celery, squash, greens etc), put in a bowl, beat up some eggs (I use 3) and fry them up in the same hot pan. remove and cut up into small strips. Put left over rice or noodles in pan, add more oil if needed. I also add toasted sesame oil sometimes. Add cooked vegies. Cover and let it cook for a few minutes.

Add the soysauce mixture (after removing the hot pepper) to the noodles/rice, add chopped egg. Mix it all up. You may need to add a little water to prevent veggies and noodles/rice from sticking to the pan. Cover for a few more minutes and serve.
I like to add fresh chopped chives or green onions just before serving.
This can be a meal in itself or as a side dish.

I keep a jar of the seasoned soy mixture in the fridge, so I can easily make this dish anytime.

ETA: Add cut up left over meat or fish if you like.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's the secret to making fried rice that isn't gummy?

Latest posts