favorit cheap dinner

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
It needs to be cold when you fry it.

Make the rice early in the day and refrigerate.
Why thank you!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
It needs to be cold when you fry it.

Make the rice early in the day and refrigerate.
Cold rice and a screaming hot pan with a little oil in it..

I used to do it at the restaurant I worked for... but we had huge propane woks.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yes, dead-cold rice and a way-hot pan.

However, an alternative way to make yummy fried rice, which takes more time and comes out somewhat different but is quite good:

Take *freshly cooked* rice (or it can be cold, but if you have cold rice sitting around you'll probably fry it the 'normal' way :p) and mix in one large egg for about 2-4 servings' worth of rice. It will be messy and wet.

Add to very hot wok with some oil and stir CONSTANTLY -- and I really do mean constantly -- for at least 5-10 minutes. (It's been a while since I made this and I forget how long it typically takes. As you CONSTANTLY STIR, eventually the egg will begin to cook onto/into each individual grain of rice. (When it is mostly done cooking you can add a little small amount of some non-wet precooked addition such as peas or diced fried ham, if you want, but honestly the fried rice is pretty good just plain.)

Keep frying til each kernal is separate, dry, and almost a little bit hard. Eat immediately, it does not keep or reheat well.

Pat

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Carbonara! Mmmmm :drool

*Pkg of spaghetti
*4/5 eggs
*Parm Cheese
*Bacon
*Onions/garlic

Cook bacon and saute some onions/garlic..set aside
Boil Spaghetti, when done and hot...add beaten eggs, then some parm cheese. If it seems a little dry add pasta water, ladel at a time. Add bacon, onions and garlic.

Cheap, cuz I buy my pasta, bacon & parm cheese @ Sams. Eggs cuz of my girls (not free, but always on hand & fresh). Not exactly healthy, so I don't get to indulge too often!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You are all making me so sad, LOL We don't know what cheap is anymore after eliminating all the "cheaper" ingredients from our diet (well mostly, I cheat when the kids are at school sometimes :cool: ) It is expensive to buy GF/DF/egg free ingredients all the time.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
You are all making me so sad, LOL We don't know what cheap is anymore after eliminating all the "cheaper" ingredients from our diet (well mostly, I cheat when the kids are at school sometimes :cool: ) It is expensive to buy GF/DF/egg free ingredients all the time.
Can't you just cook from scratch and not buy the specialty prepared foods?

I dropped by a friend of a friend's house the other day. Someone who is health conscious...or so I thought. We started talking about how I was trying to cut wheat out of my DD diet because I think she is sensitive to it. This lady got super excited and gushed that they are gluten free.....she started pulling all these mixes of stuff out of her pantry and frig and freezer, telling my this product is great, this one is pretty good, we buy these waffles, and these cupcakes......I just stood there and tried to discretely pull my jaw up off the floor. I mean why make it complicated?

Not implying that this is your situation at all.... just got off on a tangent!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You should try it!!!

I am a good baker. Always made the BEST breads, rolls, cookies muffins and treats. Great waffles and pancakes, biscuits and crepes were a breeze.

This Gluten Free cooking is a WHOLE NEW BALL GAME!! :somad :tongue It stinks. :sick

I can not even make a basic biscuit anymore. I just keep on trying, but meanwhile I resign myself to buying the EXPENSIVE bread mixes (that I have to doctor to make really good) and pastas. I REALLY miss saltine crackers.

Sufficientforme ... Just make up some homemade Chicken N Rice soup and try to take heart.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Right now my fave meal for the fam is quiche. Any kind of quiche. I use my own fresh eggs
I have been getting rave reviews on my quiches lately. It really helps that I use duck and quail eggs :D I also cook them in muffin tins for perfect portioning!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Right now my fave meal for the fam is quiche. Any kind of quiche. I use my own fresh eggs
I have been getting rave reviews on my quiches lately. It really helps that I use duck and quail eggs :D I also cook them in muffin tins for perfect portioning!
Obviously you are making the crustless quiche right? I tried themuffin tins and wil never do that again. I even lined them with the silicon? (I'm having a brain fart) liners and i had such a mess on my hands. I will never do that again. I don't like scrubbing muffin tins. do you have a secret?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What's the difference in a crustless quiche and a fritatta?

My cheap dinner tonight is pork tenderloin :-D
The only reason its cheap is because my awesome grandmom thinks Josh and I are too poor to buy meat, so she gives us meat when we go home on Sundays :lol:

She's right, of course