Favorite "around the yard " rifle

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am curious to see what everyone chooses for a rifle/shotgun to have on them while doing chores around the yard.
I recently picked up a Ruger PC Carbine 9mm that I have been carrying with me for predators/varmints while I'm doing work around the homestead.
Its been great! Light, accurate, small pistol mags which helps carrying a couple extras.
Lately however I have ran into a lot of Bear droppings on my property and a some have been close to my coop so I have upped my rifle to my Rossi .45 Colt lever action with bear loads.
Curious to see what other people use and why!

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
.22 semi auto rifle for me, we don't have large predators so I dont need anything for protection. I will take any opportunity to shoot feral cats, and Hares that I see trying to chew my young trees. I have killed wild goats and small wild pigs very successfully within 50 yards.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am so clued into deer, my head swivels and I say Deer! This at going 70 MPH down the highway. A few days ago, I turned on our road, off in the distance in a 100 acre pasture, was a deer head poking up above the grass. I stopped the car and told my husband, Deer. he was amazed. it would have been a good shot. ;) Of course, I know how to hang, skin, gut and process the deer. I butchered a pig for a neighbor this afternoon. It was a feral pig, red in color, so half domestic, 40 pounds, young, good looking meat. It was in a trap, I told him bring it to me and I would take care of it for him. He and his wife are both on disability, poor, and that meat will go to good use.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With the gun laws here in canada we are not allowed to carry handguns on our person. We can have them and need a permit to transport it from your home to the range.
On the homestead I always have a 22, a 303 and 12 gauge ready just in case. We have mink, lynx, coyote/wolf hybrids and now black bears in our area. I have a 22-250 on my wish list.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm a lefty, I can shoot a right handed bolt easily but I prefer single shot rifles, I use a Thompson centre Pro encore.
I got a Winchester Trapper’s Model 30-30 one time. Put it on my left shoulder, shot, ejected shell. She’ll flew out the top and hit me between the eyes. LOL LOL

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't want to spend the money on an other fire arm. One lesson learned: a guy should never buy a gun for his gal without her being along to try it out!!!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't want to spend the money on an other fire arm. One lesson learned: a guy should never buy a gun for his gal without her being along to try it out!!!
Very true. However a wise man once told me buy a gun until you have one for every window in your house. When you get that done buy a house with more windows! A gun will always put food on the table..