Favorite Books about Homesteading??

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read that the average midwest farmer's diet ran around 7000 calories a day; but take a look at "American Gothic" if you don't think they could work that off
american gothic.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a small family plot somewhere in the Midwest I've read about- the farmer is buried there... along with all seven of his wives (also one at a time). A lot of them died from childbirth complications- I would have been dead at least twice if it weren't for modern medicine.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Junebugaboo - Maybe not in your homesteading category in particular, but we've very much enjoyed reading the stories of Richard Proenneke in "One Man's Widlerness" about a gentleman who moved to the wilderness of Alaska and settled his own cabin years back. I also highly recommend Monte Burch's "The Ultimate Guide to Skinning and Tanning" if you're looking to pick up a new skill. It may seem gross getting into it for some, but it is extremely rewarding to take, say, a recently culled rabbit flock and tan their hides, then make a cozy pair of mittens or even a blanket with them. We've also gotten "Country Wisdom and Know-How" and it has a ton of great info in it on a variety of subjects. Oh, and not sure if it was mentioned, but "The Backyard Homestead" was great too!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
American Gothic history: http://totallyhistory.com/american-gothic/
I used to have a client who grew up in Iowa and his dad and Grant Wood were good friends. In the picture, it's supposed to be a farmer and his spinster daughter. Actually, the "farmer" was Grant Woods' dentist, and the "daughter" was Grant Woods' sister.
Grant Woods also made furniture, and the family had a chair built by him. And he had painted a picture of my client's mother that is now in a museum.