Favorite Books about Homesteading??

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anybody have any good books they've read recently about homesteading/farming/self-reliance? Any favorites?

I've been leafing through John Seymour's The Self-Sufficient Life; one of my favorites about small-farm agriculture is Wendell Berry's The Unsettling of America. I just recently read Gaining Ground by Forrest Pritchard and really enjoyed it.

Barnyard in Your Backyard - This book covers the basics of raising chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, goats, sheep, and cattle.
You Can Farm - The focus here is on a profit-making enterprise, but there's lots of great information for small farmers who don't want to bring products to market. Read and Enjoy.. :D :D :D

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anybody have any good books they've read recently about homesteading/farming/self-reliance? Any favorites?

I've been leafing through John Seymour's The Self-Sufficient Life; one of my favorites about small-farm agriculture is Wendell Berry's The Unsettling of America. I just recently read Gaining Ground by Forrest Pritchard and really enjoyed it.
The Gardening Bible. Author Barbara Damrosch offers you a combination of new ideas and old-fashioned concepts that still apply today.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is true that experience and practice are major factors in learning. You can read how to build a cabin in 20 different books but until you do it, you just don't really know it. DIY teaches you to improvise for sure