Favorite Canned Pickle Recipe?

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did use the above recipe, except for the seasonings.
We went with the pickling spice mix I had from general store.

And then...
I also used recipe to make whiskey pickled jalapeno salsa.

I'll let you know how they turn out. All jars are curing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saw this today and sounds interesting. Pickled radishes. We all know how fast we can grow these, in a greenhouse, pretty much all year. Sounds a little spicy, too...I'm gonna try them next Spring.

VIA Mother Earth News....
I love the beautiful warm pink color of these pickles. The taste is sweetly hot, and using a mandolin to slice the radishes ensures a delicate pickle. Unfortunately, there is no USDA-approved recipe for canning pickled radishes, but since they are pretty much available year-round, I just put up a new half-pint when I run out. They hold for a few months in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup white wine or champagne vinegar
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 6 radishes, very thinly sliced (1 heaping cup)
• 1 large shallot, cut into eighths

Instructions:
1. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.

2. Add the radishes and shallots. Heat until the vinegar just begins to boil, then remove from the heat.

3. Have ready 1 sterilized half-pint jar, band, and lid. You do not need to use a new lid because you will not process this jar. Pack the radishes and shallots into the jar and refrigerate.

4. Allow the radishes to cure 1 week before serving. Save the extra pickling liquid to use in salad dressing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never heard of them....Rat Tail radishes. One year I want to grow the watermelon ones...they are so cute when you cut them. :D I'll try the ones in this recipe -- hey, one jar that you eat or toss. It's a quick one.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They sound gross, but what they are is the radish seed pods. This is a particular variety that grows bigger pods, but no fat root like regular radishes. I like them because they give you a spicy crunch like eating radishes, only they are available all summer long. I hear you can use them in stir fry, but you lose a lot of the spiciness when you cook them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, that's odd -- a radish that isn't. :D Then, I use a turnip that is heavy leaf, practically no bulb on root end. For those who like turnip greens....my goats do. :lol: I like them but, throw them in the field for the goats, basically. They grow well in cooler weather, so well into winter here.

Latest posts