Favorite Canned Pickle Recipe?

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have yet to find the RIGHT recipe!
Ball canning book (which I now cannot find on my shelf...?) recipe really wasn't spectacular at all.

Tried my own random internet search concoction.

Tried a "dill pickle" season packet from local general store. This was closer but still not perfect.

Neighbor has blessed us with an absurd amount of cucumbers. Been munching away, nearly every day we eat one or three, but still a full brown grocery bag is full!
Just gonna have to can them, and gift them back to them lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do it quickly. The best pickles are made from freshly picked cukes that are not over-ripe. I can't help you with a "best" recipe. I'm still looking for it. IMO, the Ball book calls for way too much vinegar. I like a good bread and butter pickle with lots of onion.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could try the old fashioned way and ferment them... just needs salt and seasonings to your taste like dill, garlic, peppers etc.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could try the old fashioned way and ferment them... just needs salt and seasonings to your taste like dill, garlic, peppers etc.

+1 Fermented pickles

My wife does not ferment, I'm the fermenter around here. This is from her recipe book. The top is for bread and butter pickles but both recipes make good pickles.
img_20170719_151448890-jpg.3735

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the best pickle recipe ever. I love these and have made them since I was in high school.

Mamma Wall's Spicy Sweet Pickles

My spicy sweet pickle recipe came from my great grandmother to my grandmother to me.

Start this process early in the morning so you will have time the next day to process the pickles.

5 gallon bucket of sliced cucumbers about 1/4" thick
cover with water, add 2 cups pickling lime
I put a plate over them to weigh the cukes down in the lime water
Soak for 24 hours, drain, then wash all lime off. ( I put the lime water on the compost pile)
Put cukes back in the bucket, cover with cold water with 4 cups of vinegar added.
Soak for 2 hours. Then drain.
You need 2 large pots with lids.
In each pot, add 8 cups apple cider vinegar and 10 cups sugar

In each pot, add 1 box or bottle of pickling spices. I use McCormicks-1.5 oz bottles in the spice section at the grocery store. (you can put them in a bag so the spices don't get on the cucumbers, but I never do because I like the spices in the jars of pickles)

Bring the ACV, sugar and spices to a simmering boil, add sliced cucumbers.

Simmer on medium-low heat until the cucumbers are translucent.

Pack in hot sterile jars, cover with syrup and seal.

The lime makes them crisp. They are so good, makes the best deviled eggs! I can eat 1/2 a jar by myself.

Using this recipe, I got 20 pints and 4 quarts.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds so good! DH couldn't have them with all the sugar...:( But, I know I would love them!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are fantastic on hamburgers and hot dogs. They make the best deviled eggs, I mince them up and add some of the syrup to the egg yolks.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soak for 24 hours, drain, then wash all lime off.

Since pickling lime is alkaline, it's very important to rinse all pickling lime off before you continue with canning your pickles, otherwise you run the risk of botulism because your canning solution might not be acid enough to prevent the growth of bacteria in storage.

If you want pickling lime in larger quantities, https://www.myspicesage.com/search?q=pickling lime

Latest posts