Favorite Canned Pickle Recipe?

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have yet to find the RIGHT recipe!
Ball canning book (which I now cannot find on my shelf...?) recipe really wasn't spectacular at all.

Tried my own random internet search concoction.

Tried a "dill pickle" season packet from local general store. This was closer but still not perfect.

Neighbor has blessed us with an absurd amount of cucumbers. Been munching away, nearly every day we eat one or three, but still a full brown grocery bag is full!
Just gonna have to can them, and gift them back to them lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the best pickle recipe ever. I love these and have made them since I was in high school.

Mamma Wall's Spicy Sweet Pickles

My spicy sweet pickle recipe came from my great grandmother to my grandmother to me.

Start this process early in the morning so you will have time the next day to process the pickles.

5 gallon bucket of sliced cucumbers about 1/4" thick
cover with water, add 2 cups pickling lime
I put a plate over them to weigh the cukes down in the lime water
Soak for 24 hours, drain, then wash all lime off. ( I put the lime water on the compost pile)
Put cukes back in the bucket, cover with cold water with 4 cups of vinegar added.
Soak for 2 hours. Then drain.
You need 2 large pots with lids.
In each pot, add 8 cups apple cider vinegar and 10 cups sugar

In each pot, add 1 box or bottle of pickling spices. I use McCormicks-1.5 oz bottles in the spice section at the grocery store. (you can put them in a bag so the spices don't get on the cucumbers, but I never do because I like the spices in the jars of pickles)

Bring the ACV, sugar and spices to a simmering boil, add sliced cucumbers.

Simmer on medium-low heat until the cucumbers are translucent.

Pack in hot sterile jars, cover with syrup and seal.

The lime makes them crisp. They are so good, makes the best deviled eggs! I can eat 1/2 a jar by myself.

Using this recipe, I got 20 pints and 4 quarts.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soak for 24 hours, drain, then wash all lime off.

Since pickling lime is alkaline, it's very important to rinse all pickling lime off before you continue with canning your pickles, otherwise you run the risk of botulism because your canning solution might not be acid enough to prevent the growth of bacteria in storage.

If you want pickling lime in larger quantities, https://www.myspicesage.com/search?q=pickling lime

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whiskey pickles yields 4 pints

8-10 pickling cucumbers or 3 lbs sliced cokes
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cup water
1/2 cup whiskey or bourbon
2 tablespoon sea salt
4 teaspoon dill seed
2 teaspoon pickling spice
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
Dash of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon pepper flake
4 gloves garlic

Combine vinegars, water and salt in a pot, bring to boil.
Pour 1/8 cup of whiskey (or bourban) into each jar.
Add to each jar a portion of each spice, pack tight with cukes.
Pour vinegar mix into jars, to 1/2 inch, seal and water bath 10 minutes for pints.
Let sit at least a week to marinate before nomming.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wasn't so sure about them the first batch I made, but wanted to make them for holiday giveaways and to have some pickle variety in the pantry lol
I brought one jar to a Christmas party and found out really quick I should've brought all that I had canned lol
It was kinda weird watching the older adults literally fight one another for the last one and then the juice for mixed drinks :eek:o_O

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saw this today and sounds interesting. Pickled radishes. We all know how fast we can grow these, in a greenhouse, pretty much all year. Sounds a little spicy, too...I'm gonna try them next Spring.

VIA Mother Earth News....
I love the beautiful warm pink color of these pickles. The taste is sweetly hot, and using a mandolin to slice the radishes ensures a delicate pickle. Unfortunately, there is no USDA-approved recipe for canning pickled radishes, but since they are pretty much available year-round, I just put up a new half-pint when I run out. They hold for a few months in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup white wine or champagne vinegar
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 6 radishes, very thinly sliced (1 heaping cup)
• 1 large shallot, cut into eighths

Instructions:
1. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.

2. Add the radishes and shallots. Heat until the vinegar just begins to boil, then remove from the heat.

3. Have ready 1 sterilized half-pint jar, band, and lid. You do not need to use a new lid because you will not process this jar. Pack the radishes and shallots into the jar and refrigerate.

4. Allow the radishes to cure 1 week before serving. Save the extra pickling liquid to use in salad dressing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could try the old fashioned way and ferment them... just needs salt and seasonings to your taste like dill, garlic, peppers etc.

+1 Fermented pickles

My wife does not ferment, I'm the fermenter around here. This is from her recipe book. The top is for bread and butter pickles but both recipes make good pickles.
img_20170719_151448890-jpg.3735

Last edited: