Favorite Homemade Sweets

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Only if it is homemade from fresh cherries.

huh. :) i have a huge preference for tart cherries and haven't ever had a pie made from those when they were fresh. we get the dried ones for our use and i cook them once in a while with my oatmeal. by the time the oatmeal is done the cherries are plumped back up and still have a ton of flavor. i don't really consider them a sweet though so i did not even think of them for this thread. with my large sweet tooth you'd think that i would want to put sugar in the oatmeal, but the only sweet i add to that is sometimes i'll add peanut butter which has some added sugar, but it still isn't a very sweet breakfast. what i like about it though is that it doesn't crash me at all and the peanut butter and cherries along with the oats can hold me pretty much for an entire day. that's a lot of oomph out of a quarter cup of oats and some cherries and a few spoonfulls of oatmeal.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only if it is homemade from fresh cherries.
Yep... You nailed it. Homemade with fresh tart cherries. Double cherry is the best. None of that thin single layer pie, not with cherry pie. Go deep dish or go home 😊

You didn't ask about second favorite. But mine is straight out of the oven blackberry cobbler topped with pecan ice cream. 😋

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
huh. :) i have a huge preference for tart cherries and haven't ever had a pie made from those when they were fresh. we get the dried ones for our use and i cook them once in a while with my oatmeal. by the time the oatmeal is done the cherries are plumped back up and still have a ton of flavor. i don't really consider them a sweet though so i did not even think of them for this thread. with my large sweet tooth you'd think that i would want to put sugar in the oatmeal, but the only sweet i add to that is sometimes i'll add peanut butter which has some added sugar, but it still isn't a very sweet breakfast. what i like about it though is that it doesn't crash me at all and the peanut butter and cherries along with the oats can hold me pretty much for an entire day. that's a lot of oomph out of a quarter cup of oats and some cherries and a few spoonfulls of oatmeal.
I also do peanut butter in my oatmeal, but I add maple syrup instead of sugar. I eat this at least once a week.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll have to try PB. I like pecans & brown sugar in my oatmeal. :drool

Pecan pie with a chess type filling, none of that syrup stuff.

chess type filling is similar to one we use for some desserts, but we don't use any eggs in it. very useful once cooled for adding in sliced strawberries or blueberries. it is more like a thick pudding.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't eat real oatmeal these days with my sugar problems, but I found a recipe for a low carb substitute that's amazing; even my son, who doesn't like oatmeal, likes this. It's called N'oatmeal . For one bowl:
1/2 cup water (or more if needed for preferred texture)
2 tablespoons hemp hearts
2 tablespoons almond flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated stevia/erythritol blend or any kind of sweetener you like, to taste (I really like the brown sugar Swerve)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Mix together everything except the sweetener and the vanilla and microwave it for about a minute. Add the remaining ingredients plus any add-ins you'd like (fruit, peanut butter, whatever)