Favorite ways to eat oatmeal

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I eat oatmeal most days. I cook a big triple batch once a week and SO and I eat it for most breakfasts. As a result of a pretty consistent meal, we've come up with some interesting ways to eat it. (Also because we're in college and don't always grocery shop, and necessity is the mother of invention).

PB&J oatmeal
I prefer this style with steel cut oats. If I just do peanut butter, I like the old fashioned oats. SO and I agree on the jelly- it should be raspberry with lots of seeds- but we disagree on the peanut butter. I think it should be crunchy, the crunchier the better. Heck, I'm on the border of throwing in whole peanuts :lol:
He says that people who like crunchy are lazy, because we just don't want to grind it all the way :rolleyes: He likes creamy, of course.

Savory oatmeal
Cheese, some scrambled egg, and this delightful stuff from a restaurant here called "yumm sauce" it is soooooo tasty. It's mainly chickpeas and soy, but I just can't care about the soy. It's tasty! This is also really good with olives, sour cream, etc.

Anytime we go to a restaurant, SO gets a poached egg on top of his oatmeal. We only do this at restaurants because I can't poach an egg to save my life :p

Traditional
Some days I like sweet oatmeal, and so I'll do a little white (I know, forgive meeee) sugar and some blackstrap molasses.

My go to
What I do most days is just oatmeal topped with craisins and almonds. Quick and easy. Whenever I have milk, I reheat my oats with the milk added.

So, what do you guys do?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been known to add some flavored yogurt to ours.

My favorite recipe is Rachael Ray's recipe. Lots of yumminess involved. Unfortunately for me though, the book was poorly constructed and used often leading the page to fall out and get lost.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly, my favorite way of eating oatmeal is off a cafeteria-style steam table where it has been sitting for three or four hours with few people eating it, so it develops an almost crispy dry top crust. Mmmm. Unfortunately I have not figured out how to easily duplicate this at home (though with a woodstove it might not be hard).

Other cooked oatmeal doesn't do a lot for me, I will eat it (preferably with nuts rather than sweet additions) but honestly I like rolled oats just raw-and-dry or with a bit of milk or cream stirred into them. Yeah, I know, I'm weird.

Actually, raw rolled oats ("real", not instant or quick-cook, oatmeal oats) are an excellent topping for chocolate ice cream. Really!! Try it :)

If I cook oatmeal, these days, I most often do it baked in the oven, with some apple juice or milk as the liquid and some raisins and nuts added, or bits of cut up apple. I put little enough liquid in it that it comes out sort of as a brownie-like consistency, that you can cut into squares. Makes a good dessert, actually! :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My mom used to use the leftover oatmeal (with raisins and brown sugar and butter...YUM!!!) to make oatmeal cakes by adding an egg or two to the leftover oatmeal. Both ways were yummy!

(Sad thing now is I can't do grains of any sort... :hit unless sprouted.)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have a favorite way, unless you count feeding it to the chickens.

To quote my son, "Hot flaming death to oatmeal!" :sick

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I eat oatmeal almost every morning too .

My usual includes walnuts, frozen blueberries (fresh if they are in season), cinnamon and a drizzle of milk and maple syrup - it's a bowlfull of love :love.

Fresh fruit of any kind is a great addition and I like the PB&J style too (with crunchy PB of course) ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We soak our oatmeal at night, so as to reduce the phytic acid (which is the true causer of cavities).
A pan of this recipe is nourishing and yummy!

Baked oatmeal

4 cups of rolled oats
enough raw yogurt or kefir to make the oats wet.
Mix together, cover and leave to soak overnight.
In the morning, add 2-3 eggs, honey or maple syrup to taste, and 2 tsp of baking powder.
Add your choice of either raisins, frozen blueberries or mixed dried fruit.
We add lowbush cranberries (lingonberries).

Bake at 350' until done, and serve hot with raw cream and or milk.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The oatmeal must be cooked with whole milk.
Add as many raisins as you like.
Turbinado sugar only, please.
Toss a pat of REAL butter on top and I am in heaven!!