Favorite ways to eat oatmeal

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN, if you swap those raisins for dried cherries, I'll be there!

I *love* oatmeal :love

I haven't eaten it in ages because I assumed it was pretty HGI :hit

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oatmeal is absolutely the only food on which I put salt.
Lots & lots of it.
I think it's a 'Russian" thing. The only other people I've met outside my relatives who eat it like that are Russian or Ukrainian.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
We soak our oatmeal at night, so as to reduce the phytic acid (which is the true causer of cavities).
A pan of this recipe is nourishing and yummy!

Baked oatmeal

4 cups of rolled oats
enough raw yogurt or kefir to make the oats wet.
Mix together, cover and leave to soak overnight.
In the morning, add 2-3 eggs, honey or maple syrup to taste, and 2 tsp of baking powder.
Add your choice of either raisins, frozen blueberries or mixed dried fruit.
We add lowbush cranberries (lingonberries).

Bake at 350' until done, and serve hot with raw cream and or milk.
Are you adding raw eggs and then cook it or cooked/scrambled eggs?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
We soak our oatmeal at night, so as to reduce the phytic acid (which is the true causer of cavities).
A pan of this recipe is nourishing and yummy!

Baked oatmeal

4 cups of rolled oats
enough raw yogurt or kefir to make the oats wet.
Mix together, cover and leave to soak overnight.
In the morning, add 2-3 eggs, honey or maple syrup to taste, and 2 tsp of baking powder.
Add your choice of either raisins, frozen blueberries or mixed dried fruit.
We add lowbush cranberries (lingonberries).

Bake at 350' until done, and serve hot with raw cream and or milk.
Are you adding raw eggs and then cook it or cooked/scrambled eggs?
Its like making a cake :)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubbling, this sounds alot like the oatmeal squares the Quaker brought out a few years ago. Loved the idea of oatmeal that could travel as I usually eat my breakfast in the car on my way to work.

This would be much healther than store bought squares, which have all those nasty additives.

Thanks for the idea.:celebrate

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah YUM that does sound good now that I get it. I didn't read your post very well did I? :rolleyes:

ETA: I'm making this for my daughter! Oatmeal cake, she'll love it! (Sounds as healthy as the Black Bean Chocolate Cake, doesn't it Freemotion?)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Yeah YUM that does sound good now that I get it. I didn't read your post very well did I? :rolleyes:

ETA: I'm making this for my daughter! Oatmeal cake, she'll love it! (Sounds as healthy as the Black Bean Chocolate Cake, doesn't it Freemotion?)
Oh! I should have added, that I usually add cinnamon as well. Its a very easy recipe to play with.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is a great idea!

I am almost 100% certain that I have a grain intolerance of some sort or another, but I often make black bean and other whole grain recipes for my daughter. (Soaked for 24 hours in kefir whey of course. ;) )

Bubblingbrooks, have you seen the recipe for Black Bean Chocolate Cake floating around here lately?

I love to use fresh grated/ground cinnamon where ever I can. Where do you live that you can forage for lingonberries? We have huckleberries (and blackberries) here.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
That is a great idea!

I am almost 100% certain that I have a grain intolerance of some sort or another, but I often make black bean and other whole grain recipes for my daughter. (Soaked for 24 hours in kefir whey of course. ;) )

Bubblingbrooks, have you seen the recipe for Black Bean Chocolate Cake floating around here lately?
:D :cool: :lol:

I love to use fresh grated/ground cinnamon where ever I can. Where do you live that you can forage for lingonberries? We have huckleberries (and blackberries) here.
Alaska!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Right below ya in WA state! ;) We get great wild beasties, don't we? I'm making sourdough as we speak!

I ran to my cupboard to look for my can of steel cut oats and it is gone. I must have used it up and forgot to replace it. I am going into deep dark depression now that I can't make your cake recipe tomorrow morning. :(

I put my black beans in for a good soak instead. :p