Favorite Zucchini recipe?

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, it's mid summer and there's a lot of them. What are your favorites? Can they be canned? Trying not to freeze things, so how can I keep these wonderful guys all year? :)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Daffodils At The Sea said:
Well, it's mid summer and there's a lot of them. What are your favorites? Can they be canned? Trying not to freeze things, so how can I keep these wonderful guys all year? :)
I've canned them but there's not tested recipe for summer squash. I cut them the long way into 8ths and put them into a pt jar end-wise. Then I processed them at 10 PSI for some time that I guessed based on other tested recipes... Probably the green-bean recipe. Anyway, I don't recommend it.

Zucchini aren't precious. You can pull up the plant when you've had enough.

I wonder if anyone has tried drying slices of zucchini.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Zucchini chips are good to just eat if you slice them thin when drying. Mom used to make them, and we'd just snack on them, not use them for cooking. Crumbled it should be fine in soups.

I've thought about shredding zucchini then drying it to see if I can reconstitute it well enough later to make bread with.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ran across mention somewhere of drying zucchini chips and then frying them quickly in a little oil and salting. Supposedly taste almost like potato chips. I'm thinking of trying that this year if my garden lives. I've been downed by a pinched nerve in my back for most of a week, and my son was watering the garden. Just went out today to check and everything looks bad; I poked my finger into the soil and it was only moist in the top 1/2 inch or so :he

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not a full-on "recipe," but I have been known to make a meal out of sliced zucchini + sliced Roma tomatoes (both fresh from the garden), tossed in a bowl, and drizzled with a commercial ranch salad dressing. For those with the inclination & talent to make a homemade creamy dressing, I'm sure that would be even better. :)

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I slice the big ones into rounds about 1/4" thick,coat them with olive oil and seasonings,and grill them until slightly charred and tender.Let them cool and freeze them.I usually eat most of them immediately.I love these with plenty of garlic and salt.They are really good and habit forming.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grate mine and dehydrate them. I use them for soup and toss them in spaghetti sauce or gravy. I also mix the green and gold varieties for some colorful bread and butter pickles :drool I use the cucumber recipe for these. I also alternate layers of pasta in lasagna with zucchini. Other than that if you can find a neighbors car that is unlocked :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Zucchini baseball!! Get the really BIG zucchinis, tomatoes, friends and relatives, bar-b-cue and play Ball!!! It helps to have a water hose and change of clothes handy. Also some sheets wrapped around some trees for changing clothes in private.....sort of. :lol:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Of course, you could always plant only ONE zucchini plant- it helps a little bit. I just discovered an interesting squash called Italian Tromboncini.
Tromboncino-Squash-Trellis.jpg
You can eat them young as a delicious summer squash, or leave them on the vine (this is a climber) to mature into winter squash (I love two-fers!)