Favorite Zucchini recipe?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm growing Tromboncinos too! Aren't they really awesome in a weird way? I love Tromboncinos!! We can get 3 meals off ONE squash!! I cut off the bulb end and scoop out the seeds, stuff them with dressing and bake. Yum! Squash vine borers killed my zucchini, yellow crookneck and Lebanese white squash. (have replanted) But the Tromboncino just swells up, goes around the damage and keeps going! If I had them growing on the ground instead of trellised, they put out roots at almost every leaf joint. I love these squash!

Britsea, yours are gorgeous!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh Baymule, I WISH that picture was of my squash, but it isn't--- mine are just sprawling on the ground. I didn't have the time to build a nice trellis like in the picture. But just wait til next year!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You just don't want to walk into that! Looks like they could knock you out! :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Tromboncino squash are trellised on cow panels. I let one grow until it got so heavy it fell off the vine. :gig It weighed 4 1/2 pounds and was 37 inches long! I trailed some of the vines back to the ground to re-root themselves and then trailed them back up the trellis to help with the squash borer damage. They haven't been especially over abundant, but they are fun to grow.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only have about 3 squash on my plant. Next year I will plant more of them, but I was expecting the kind of wild abandon you get from a zucchini plant

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
Not a full-on "recipe," but I have been known to make a meal out of sliced zucchini + sliced Roma tomatoes (both fresh from the garden), tossed in a bowl, and drizzled with a commercial ranch salad dressing. For those with the inclination & talent to make a homemade creamy dressing, I'm sure that would be even better. :)
Ranch is oil, vinegar, and sour cream. Isn't that amazing? I always thought it was some secret delicious combination of ingredients but it's just a typical salad dressing with a little sour cream mixed in.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for all the ideas. I have seen the chips recipe and it seems to require a dehydrator, or I have a solar oven that works similarly to that, and needs a little venting to let out the moisture. But that takes so long, and so I've also tried the grilling, which is delicious. It's just a different texture.

Grating and freezing, that's a great idea. I know that using grated or cooked zucchini in breads and cakes makes them more moist, so they can sneak in there and be useful.

Here's one that's fun,

ZUCCHINI APPLE BREAD (makes 2 loaves)

1 cup finely grated zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
1 cup grated green apple, peeled and cored (about 1 apple)
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup olive oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups plus 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 2 (4 1/2 by 8 1/2-inch) loaf pans with nonstick
spray. Line the pans with parchment paper and spray the paper.

Combine the zucchini, apple, brown sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl
and stir to combine. Add 3 cups flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and
nutmeg to the bowl and mix well. Toss the nuts with the remaining1/2 teaspoon flour to
coat and prevent them from sinking. Gently stir in the nuts and the extract.

Divide the batter between the 2 loaf pans. Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in
the middle of each loaf comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the bread from
the pans and cool on a wire rack.

HomesteaderJeff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
zucchini pickles and relish. I like the relish the best and kick it up a notch with 1 pepper. Much better than cucumber relish. The pickles are really good too, last time I made em they were just a little mushy though.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I ran across a relish recipe, but haven't tried it. Glad to hear it's good.

The Zucchini pasta sounds great!

The tromboncino squash, it looks like in the picture they hang down in the shade? Do the squash need sun, or should they be in the shade like that? Is the flavor comparable to regular zucchini?