FDA claims all interstate......

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Any animal can get TB. We have to have alpacas tested for TB each time we want to take them to a show. So I'm sure goats could get it too.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gotta love the government :/

"Were in billions of dollars od debt! Let's go spend more money hunting down raw milk drinkers!"

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Very good points Icu4dzs. I am by no means a physician, but I also understand that there are a few other things becoming antibiotic resistant, like some infections.
I won't even touch on what all the hormones they feed the animals that we eat, are doing to our bodies........
Puhleeeease don't think I am "dissing" raw milk. Quite the contrary.
And yes, there are many emerging bacterial infections that are becoming antibiotic resistant...no doubt MY profession deserves much of the blame for that by "knuckling under" every time some patient demands antibiotics to cure their viral illness. We ALL share some of that blame.

All I can say is that TB was around much earlier than migrant workers so there are other contributing factors.

I am NOT suggesting that corporations should be allowed to "call the shots" with respect to influencing what laws are written to protect their profit making and cut the individual "mom and pop" operation out of the world of business.

Quite frankly, I want to re-instate as many Mom/Pop businesses in America as possible. The individual entrepreneur is what made our country strong and gave us the sense of independence we so jealously guard with our lives.

Big Corporations have extended themselves beyond the point of being "good for their customers" and continue to only want to be "good for the investor". I have problems with that.

On the other hand, good animal care is NOT something we should ignore or avoid. The better they live, the better WE live, even when our purpose for them is the table.
YMMV
Trim sends

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
SKR8PN said:
Very good points Icu4dzs. I am by no means a physician, but I also understand that there are a few other things becoming antibiotic resistant, like some infections.
I won't even touch on what all the hormones they feed the animals that we eat, are doing to our bodies........
Puhleeeease don't think I am "dissing" raw milk. Quite the contrary.
And yes, there are many emerging bacterial infections that are becoming antibiotic resistant...no doubt MY profession deserves much of the blame for that by "knuckling under" every time some patient demands antibiotics to cure their viral illness. We ALL share some of that blame.

All I can say is that TB was around much earlier than migrant workers so there are other contributing factors.

I am NOT suggesting that corporations should be allowed to "call the shots" with respect to influencing what laws are written to protect their profit making and cut the individual "mom and pop" operation out of the world of business.

Quite frankly, I want to re-instate as many Mom/Pop businesses in America as possible. The individual entrepreneur is what made our country strong and gave us the sense of independence we so jealously guard with our lives.

Big Corporations have extended themselves beyond the point of being "good for their customers" and continue to only want to be "good for the investor". I have problems with that.

On the other hand, good animal care is NOT something we should ignore or avoid. The better they live, the better WE live, even when our purpose for them is the table.
YMMV
Trim sends
This is why you will be hard pressed to find families and individuals settling for raw milk from poorly run farms ;)
It is generally a given that raw milk supporters are far more careful then the average citizen.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, but it was nearly eliminated due to immunization. Now it is coming back and it is NOT because of raw milk. That was my point.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
AFAIK commercial raw milk dairies DO test for TB as well as other things, often more frequently than normal pasteurized-milk dairies, and many private individuals just drinking their own cow's raw milk test for it too.

In the interest of sportsmanship and fair play AND at the risk of outright crucifixion here, we might do well to look at the resurgence of tuberculosis in this country. While most of our cows are NOT infected with this, milk is a common source of the spread of TB.
I would like to see a reference for that last bit please -- a contemporary reference saying that many PRESENT-DAY NORTH AMERICAN cases of TB are contracted from milk. As opposed to contracted person-to-person from people from other countries where the disease is common.

I am skeptical, not only b/c of what I recall of things I've read over the years (but am not sure of as I cannot point to anything particular) AND the fact that I just went adn read a bunch of the CDC webpages on TB and could find NO mention of warnings against getting it from milk, as opposed to about a bazillion references about risks from person-to-person contact and the resurgence of TB in north america due to infected immigrants and visitors.

So, no offense meant, but MODERN citation please?

Pat

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Conservative numbers put the US at 50 million raw milk consumers. And that is only the trackable number.
1/6th of the US population. When 80% or more of the population live in rural areas and don't even know what raw milk is. :p

That being said we just purchased a Jersey/Holstein and are hoping to breed her in July. So we will be drinking raw milk. I don't believe I will be one of 50 million people in the USA drinking it though.

Yes it seems like the FDA could find a better place to use their resources.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This puts it more like 10-12 million.

"Based on the CDC's own survey, the average number of people drinking raw milk in this 2006-2007 sampling was 3.0% of the population, ranging from 2.3% in Minnesota to 3.8% in Georgia.

The population in the United States in late 2007 was about 302,000,000 people. Thus, if someone drank raw milk 3 years ago, he or she was among NINE MILLION RAW MILK DRINKERS. If the rate has increased today to, say, 4.0%, a raw milk drinker (the survey sampled all ages, including children under 12) is among OVER 12 MILLION. With increases in raw milk consumption in recent years, there is no doubt the number of people consuming raw milk exceeds 10 million."

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
This puts it more like 10-12 million.

"Based on the CDC's own survey, the average number of people drinking raw milk in this 2006-2007 sampling was 3.0% of the population, ranging from 2.3% in Minnesota to 3.8% in Georgia.

The population in the United States in late 2007 was about 302,000,000 people. Thus, if someone drank raw milk 3 years ago, he or she was among NINE MILLION RAW MILK DRINKERS. If the rate has increased today to, say, 4.0%, a raw milk drinker (the survey sampled all ages, including children under 12) is among OVER 12 MILLION. With increases in raw milk consumption in recent years, there is no doubt the number of people consuming raw milk exceeds 10 million."
That's believable.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Conservative numbers put the US at 50 million raw milk consumers. And that is only the trackable number.
1/6th of the US population. When 80% or more of the population live in rural areas and don't even know what raw milk is. :p

That being said we just purchased a Jersey/Holstein and are hoping to breed her in July. So we will be drinking raw milk. I don't believe I will be one of 50 million people in the USA drinking it though.

Yes it seems like the FDA could find a better place to use their resources.
:hu