Federal government seeking to make forms of bartering illegal

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Federal government seeking to make forms of bartering illegal after court ruling

"This attempt by the Federal government to use a single court case to establish a new precedent of law in regards to barter and currency gives warning to the states and the public that any course of action towards removing themselves from federal control over economic and monetary policies will be met with force and or prosecution."

Be careful how you barter...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
That is likely a response to certain states wanting their own currency. LOL.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
any course of action towards removing themselves from federal control over economic and monetary policies will be met with force and or prosecution.
Wow..... :(

ETA - I read the article and it seems to be pointed at the currency issue, not all aspects of bartering. Is there any evidence of this related directly to bartering in the sense of "item for item"?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
JRmom is correct. This is currently directed at any entity producing a "coin" to be used for bartering. However, in the past such bartering has always been considered legal providing the the "coin" is not being passed off as "legal tender". It would appear that the new interpretation by the Feds covers ANY type of "coinage" not produced by the mint.

If you go strictly by what they are saying, it would seem to be construed as any medium used as barter, but not include directly bartered goods and services. So using frog skins as currency, as certain tribes once did, would be illegal. However, trading a chicken for some vegetables would still be ok (at least for now).

They will only take my frog skins when they pry them from my cold, dead hands! :lol:

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just had a visual of k0xxx sitting in a dark cave surrounded by skins, quietly counting frog skins, all the while looking back over his shoulder to make sure no one is watching him. :gig

Greendecember

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
I just had a visual of k0xxx sitting in a dark cave surrounded by skins, quietly counting frog skins, all the while looking back over his shoulder to make sure no one is watching him. :gig
Me too! LOL

Ya I don't think they can stop trading eggs for flour and such but it could sure put a damper on Arcade coins and more importantly programs like here in Oklahoma where if someone takes their Food Stamp card to our local farmers market they can "buy" coins that are "tradeable" at the farmers booths for fresh veggies. I would MUCH rather see Food Stamp "dollars" spent with local farmers than put in to the companies that mass produce junk food. That is a WHOLE other topic though :D

(This is in NO WAY a commentary on Food Stamps. If your hungry and you need them them please use them!)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It may be aimed at people or states minting coins, but if there is any way some power hungry moron can abuse it and make me trading some duck eggs for a bar of soap a crime, you can bet dollars to donuts they will.

Greendecember

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
It may be aimed at people or states minting coins, but if there is any way some power hungry moron can abuse it and make me trading some duck eggs for a bar of soap a crime, you can bet dollars to donuts they will.
LOL they could try, and I would not put it past them but they can't keep up with 1/10th of the drug dealers. I think Under the table duck egg trading will be low on the to do list :lol: