Feeding Chickens Fresh Pumpkin

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Can i feed my chickens our scraps from carving pumpkins or should the scraps be cooked?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
They won't hurt the chickens, if thats what you are wanting to know. We feed raw pumpkin to the chickens pretty often. Pumpkin seeds are also a good natural de-wormer of sorts.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend of mine gets a dump truck load of the left over pumpkins brought to her place every year. The hogs, peafowl, chickens, and guineas all have a field day on it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I buy several pumpkins and crack one open in every chicken pen and one for the duck pen, too.

They LOVE it. You'd think it was crack or something! :lol: :gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Your chickens will love you forever if you give them pumpkins

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I expected that pumpkins were totally fine, but as I was putting the scraps into the chicken snack bag ( :gig ) I had a sudden moment of 'Hmmm, is this potentially bad?'

So DS was going to Google "can chickens eat raw pumpkin" and I told him to hop on the computer and post here. I knew that you all would have the right info for me.

I guess the girls are in for a treat this morning!!!

BTW...the only things I really avoid feeding them are onion skins, citrus rind, avo skins, and apple cores. Anything else I should be avoiding?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
A friend of mine gets a dump truck load of the left over pumpkins brought to her place every year. The hogs, peafowl, chickens, and guineas all have a field day on it.
Wow! That sounds like quite the party :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My animals get apple cores with no ill effects. A seed or two per bird won't kill them (or mine would definitely be dead by now!). It would be a big problem if you lived near a cider mill and had access to waste that was loaded with seeds.

I hope my load of pumpkins arrives today!