Feeding Chickens Fresh Pumpkin

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
I have the woodstove going, so it just goes into a stock pot with some..
oh MAN i bet your house smells good all winter! i'm going to try and use ours more... its more for heating than cooking but i'm trying to get the hang of using the top without burning the bottoms of all my pots. i'm still trying to get one of mine clean from last year

i just got to call from one of my places! here i come pumpkins!!!!!! (well, after they close tonite) whoot!
I got a horseshoe from TSC and put it on the stove, and put my pot on that. Works great!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Hmmmm.....I need to find a place to get free pumpkins!
Today is the day, Aly! The farmers who have those pumpkins out in full view need to get rid of them today, or the kids will be coming in tonight to make a big mess. Get into the truck and go ask! Offer to trade eggs or something....they will probably be happy that someone is willing to haul them away, so they don't have to throw them into the woods themselves. We all hate to see waste!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I got a horseshoe from TSC and put it on the stove, and put my pot on that. Works great!
i would have never come up with that in a million years. WOW great idea!!!

thanks!
:)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My chickens love pumpkin almost as much as watermelon. You know, I've read those "lists" but pretty much toss all scraps to the birds. They avoid what they don't want, without me even showing them the list!

Great idea on the pumpkins--I'm going to try that out! One winter, we left piles of squash and pumpkins in the feed room, where they froze solid. Every day or 2 we would throw a huge one into the chicken's room. It was warm enough in there for them to play with it and eat it as it thawed. Mmmmmm...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Old jack-o-lanterns work as well. Usually they are just carved and maybe a little sooty from having a candle inside.

Last year some kind person when around out neighborhood smashing pumpkins and throwing them at our vehicles. (Man I love living in the city! :sick ) Of course I was out there salvaging the pumpkin for the hens! :plbb Ain't life grand!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Duck vs Pumpkin

10036622.jpg

10036612.jpg

1003663d.jpg

Ducks need treats on Halloween too ya know! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
In the olden days lots of farmers used to grow mangle beets and pumpkins with the sole idea for using them for animal feed. Some even grew turnips for the same purpose depending on what kind of livestock they are raising.

Love the punkin' eating ducks!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I will have to keep track of how long it lasts. It was a pie pumpkin that had started to go soft, so it isn't that big. All 7 of the ducks were nibbling on it. The goo seemed to be their favorite part :D . I imagine it will take them a bit longer to tear through it than it would take a bunch of chickens.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I put an ad in the free locals about wanting any fall decorations of pumpkins and gourds, to be picked up for free in my area. Haven't had a phone call yet but I am also going to inquire at the local grocery and see what they do with all their left over pumpkins.

I am currently giving my sheep and calf spaghetti squash as treats now and again. They practically attack me for these treats and I have to go in the house to keep them from climbing all over me for more!