Feeding Chickens just People food...Can it be done??

LilyD

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay so I have been toying with ideas of how to become more self sufficient with my chickens so I don't have to rely on commercial feeds or store bought grains to feed them. I raise a large garden in the summer and can or freeze pretty much everything I grow. I also fill my freezer and cupboards with canned and frozen chicken and I have a whole pig butchered in the fall and my husband hunts as well.

So here is my questions (sorry for so many but my mind has been going a million miles an hour this week).

1. Can I feed regular foods that I would have in my house to the chickens? My grandmother said that her chickens didn't receive feed at all in the spring through fall and she only fed them through the winter. My thoughts is that I could feed them rice or pasta, any table scraps I have and sprouted seeds such as dried beans and peas for greens and either meat or eggs for protein or boss and potentially peas or lentils for protein plus a calcium supplement such as OS or dairy products such as whey or cheese. Would this work and could it be a complete feed?

2. If I were going to feed them dried beans do I need to cook them for the chickens or can I sprout them and feed them both the seeds and greens at the same time?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. My main issue is that the hens don't seem to do very well on the commercial feeds and I am constantly fighting off the squirrel and mouse population that lives on the property. It seems I feed the wildlife more than I do the chickens when I put out feed. I see them (squirrels and such) constantly in and out of the coop and in my feeders. I am all for hunting for food but I am not one who really believes in mindless killing so I would rather not eradicate the whole squirrel/mice population of the world but I would like to know that what I am feeding is going to the chickens and not to them. I know when I feed people food to the chickens that they gobble it right up and leave nothing behind and I certainly have plenty to share. Do you think this would be doable?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beans NEED to be cooked for the animals. You can feed them on scraps, even their own shells for calcium, as long as nothing has too much salt(in the meat) and all legumes are precoked for them. I say go for it. Mine get stuff like that all the time, and feed to balance out because I have random stuff. Look into raising mealworms as a protein source as well. I have recently started and find them to be pretty easy, almost idiot proof...meaning I haven't screwed up yet ;)

ETA: Squirrel meat would be a good protein source as well :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Actually on second thought...I have fed mine sprouted lentils...not precooked. So, I guess it depends really on the precooking of the beans. I have heard not to feed them raw, but sprouted isn't *exactly* the same huh? I wouldn't sprout pintos for them or anything, but they seemed to really like the lentils I gave them. Maybe someone else will chime in with the why on the beans :hu Now I'm not so sure.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We feed our birds just about anything, including chicken scraps.....

LilyD

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Beans NEED to be cooked for the animals. You can feed them on scraps, even their own shells for calcium, as long as nothing has too much salt(in the meat) and all legumes are precoked for them. I say go for it. Mine get stuff like that all the time, and feed to balance out because I have random stuff. Look into raising mealworms as a protein source as well. I have recently started and find them to be pretty easy, almost idiot proof...meaning I haven't screwed up yet ;)

ETA: Squirrel meat would be a good protein source as well :p
Yeah I have shot a few but I don't eat squirrel (it's one of the only wild things we don't eat lol) never thought of feeding it to my chickens. They will eat the mice but they have gotten crafty about going in the coop only when the chickens are out free ranging. I don't want to use poison for them because the chickens do pick them up and eat them if they find them and I am not sure if they will actually ingest poison from eating the mice.

My main thing is I want to make sure that whatever diet I feed them is very varied so they get as many different nutrients with a high concentration on protein and calcium and whatever else I can throw in and that I don't feed them anything they shouldn't have. I am going to try sprouting some seeds that I have on my window sill so I will have between 8 and 16 jars of sprouts going through the winter for greens when I don't have any fresh greens to give them.

Is there anything I should worry about feeding them?

LilyD

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
We feed our birds just about anything, including chicken scraps.....
I fed mine leftover chicken today and they loved it as well as some leftover broccoli cheese soup, potatoes and fish. Not too worried about greens right now because we have no snow but later I will add those and some grains for added warmth.

LilyD

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Actually on second thought...I have fed mine sprouted lentils...not precooked. So, I guess it depends really on the precooking of the beans. I have heard not to feed them raw, but sprouted isn't *exactly* the same huh? I wouldn't sprout pintos for them or anything, but they seemed to really like the lentils I gave them. Maybe someone else will chime in with the why on the beans :hu Now I'm not so sure.
I wondered if they would soften up during sprouting when they are soaked? I was also thinking the same thing about dried peas do they need to be cooked as well? I have tons of dried beans and my husband was saying that since I am such a hoarder I should probably use some of what I have stored everywhere lol. I think right now I have a large stash of kidney, lima, great northern, and pinto but I am looking around at the stores for sources of dried peas, lentils and maybe barley to add into their diet as well.

Next question if I cook them ( which is usually boiling them in water) should I cool and feed them the water from the beans as well?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Corn heats their body up as they digest it. Don't know your climate, but a scoop of corn in the bitter cold helps.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
LilyD said:
Wannabefree said:
I wondered if they would soften up during sprouting when they are soaked? I was also thinking the same thing about dried peas do they need to be cooked as well? I have tons of dried beans and my husband was saying that since I am such a hoarder I should probably use some of what I have stored everywhere lol. I think right now I have a large stash of kidney, lima, great northern, and pinto but I am looking around at the stores for sources of dried peas, lentils and maybe barley to add into their diet as well.

Next question if I cook them ( which is usually boiling them in water) should I cool and feed them the water from the beans as well?
I don't think I'd feed them the water too. I'd just let them cool, then drain them and feed them.

LilyD

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Corn heats their body up as they digest it. Don't know your climate, but a scoop of corn in the bitter cold helps.
We are a zone 3 right now we are running temps between the 20's and the 60s for night and day. Usually the lowest we go in the winter is down to -20 or -30 below at the worst.

One of my main issues right now is that with the drought in the midwest corn is starting to get scarce. My grain prices have gone up about 4 dollars just over this last summer. We are told it's only going to get worse not better.

I do have quite a bit of corn here that I saved from my garden and I can share that with them. But buying corn feed is going to get really expensive before the end of winter.

Is there anything I can substitute instead of corn?