1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support bar for top of run - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Feeding Chickens just People food...Can it be done??

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by LilyD, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Sep 12, 2016
    MoonShadows

MoonShadows Almost Self-Reliant

My chickens eat very little chicken food when there is no snow on the ground. They free range, and I give them scraps, leftover fruits and veggies, and whatever I can spare from the garden. During the winter they eat more feed (I use a natural feed) and whole corn.

2. Sep 12, 2016
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

I feed mine more in the winter too and free range less because everything is hungry and looking for a chicken dinner when it's cold outside. We have all kinds of predators here come winter. We have them in the summer too but they don't seem as interested.

3. Nov 8, 2016
    waretrop

waretrop Almost Self-Reliant

I have allot of chickens who live in a fenced in corral..
    20151009_080635.jpg

They eat about 50 pounds of pellets a day. I feed them most all things I out of my fridge that I am not going to use, cooked or raw.

I get all the homeless peoples leftovers. There is no where for the homeless food pantries to put their leftovers except to pay to have it taken away. I take it for free and they don't have to pay anything....They get a 55 gallon garbage can of bread a day when I get the bread.

I cook a bread of sorts for them.
    chicken cake (2).jpg

I start with a cornbread powder and use eggs that I get out of the nest boxes that are cracked, shell and all. Sometimes I freeze them shell and all till I have time to cook their bread. I add a liquid like tomato water I have canned in the summer or mushroom water or turkey bone broth. Everyone saves their carcass for me to make broth. I use beets, carrots, corn, some canned meats. I bake it all in the oven to make a bread consistency. They love it....
    1011131746.jpg
    mushroom juice3.jpg
    mushroom water

ugly2.jpg

11.jpg
    bone broth

I also add any old product that I have canned.
    0928141733b.jpg
    Here are beans that I didn't get picked early enough. So I canned them for the chickens.

4. Nov 8, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Those are good ideas. Mine get leftovers, but they get 'em as is, lol. No time to cook for 'em... But, I do love the idea of that bread!

5. Nov 8, 2016
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

OK @waretrop I just have to know... How many chickens do you have? That's a LOT of feed! :ep

6. Nov 8, 2016
    waretrop

I get 100 eggs a day...50 to 60 dozen eggs get washed and hand delivered to my 50 customers each week. Everyone doesn't order each week and some get allot every week but it all averages out for me....Delivery takes about 4 hours....

7. Nov 8, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Holy Cow! I hope you get a lot for your eggs! That sounds like a lot of work to me. :th

8. Nov 8, 2016
    waretrop

I have been doing this for 5 years now. I do ok with it.....Everyone loves them.....I sell out every week....no one comes to my house for don't want lots of traffic coming and going all week. I just do it all in one day with no one visiting me....