1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cleaning ball caps, help please! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Feeding livestock - SHTF situations, stockpiling feed, etc.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Livestock' started by sumi, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Feb 9, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That is true! Technically, I don't...but I will be 'stealing' pasture space if it comes down to it!

2. Feb 9, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

You know, guys -- this is a really good time to consider how we CAN be more prepared for our animal responsibilities. In my own situation there is enough land to maintain the grazing the majority of the year. I have posted on other threads that I am working toward some increased production of feed for my livestock that will help in my winter months.

I actually can grow enough grass to do some haying but, can't get anyone to cut & bale -- even cut. (Working on a cut and my hand bale possibility). But various winter graze and veggies that store, corn & millet to dry, fodder, sprouting, fermenting, etc., are all being researched. Some of the seeds have already been purchased. Each region presents it's own pro/con situations. It is an expanding farm process here, hoping to be more self sustaining.

It's a project! :caf :rolleyes: Any portion will help feed $$$.

tortoise, sumi, baymule and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 11, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Fermenting chicken feed alone cuts my feed costs in half. Anyone can do it with ease and it's good for the chickens, good for the coop and good for the humans eating the eggs and meat.