Feeding Pregnant does.....now I'm confused....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
And the copper is to prevent urinary calculi in the wether, or it is for all of them?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I believe it is in the mineral I'm giving, but I'll have to go check now!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't feel I have enough experience yet to state any way of feeding that will work for all does.....but you probably already know what I feed mine! I went through what you are going through right now....reading and learning and getting a headache from all the direct contradictions. People firmly proclaiming that opposite methods are the only safe way. Sorting through that makes one want to sell all her goats!

So take a deep breath and make sure you have good quality hay and if possible, pasture/browse as the mainstay of their diets. Add grain when needed, but use this as little as possible. Supplement with as many chopped veggies as you can get your hands on. Variety, variety, variety! Have a high-quality mineral supplement that is for your area available free choice.

Try to keep your animals neither thin nor fat. Monitor worm loads and keep them on the low side.

Then go to bed and sleep soundly. Only worry about making a change in one direction or the other if you see symptoms. Then post here and on byh, but mostly, PM FarmerChick.

That has worked for me so far....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's what I've come up with - know your own goats. I don't think there is a one size fits all formula because I am seeing so many different, yet successful ways of raising them. Free hit it on the head - feed them good quality hay, take a breath and enjoy them. Do what works for you.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
The alfalfa thing isn't to avoid ketosis, it's to avoid Milk Fever, or hypocalcemia. There are differing opinions on this, but I'll tell ya mine. ;)

Most dairy producers (cow) feed low calcium diets through gestation to make the cow learn to mobilize calcium from her own body. This helps stop milk fever from happening during parturition, because when cows get that huge milk let down, they need a LOT of calcium. If they don't have enough, it causes milk fever. Calcium is needed for proper muscle function, so when the cow lacks enough calcium, she won't be able to walk/stand/eat/etc. The calcium goes to the milk first, and to the cow's muscles second. If a cow has been fed a low calcium diet prior to parturition, she'll be able to properly mobilize calcium from her bones and body, and not rely on calcium in the diet (which may not be enough to support her milk let down). After the cow freshens, THEN you add alfalfa (or other high calcium forages) to the diet to support her milk production.

I feed my animals this way, and every farm I've worked on (sheep and dairy and beef) feeds this way as well. There are differing opinions saying that you should feed alfalfa, but I don't agree.

I've also never seen milk fever in goats or sheep, but I have treated many a cow with milk fever. I just don't think the average small ruminant produces enough milk to cause issues, usually it's the high producing cows that have issues.

Just my $.02. ;)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I really like our hay barn, I think they pride themselves on selling really good hay. And that should really be the staple of their diet, correct?
I cannot provide forage at this time of year, we have snow and the best they can do is chew the bark (which they relish) of the trees, but that tends to kill the trees. So I'm providing hay free choice and giving grain/pellets once daily and we are up to a few cups each. I used to only give a handful or two each evening. I do feed a little BOSS too. I think I'll add that molasses to the water to be safe....but as long as this doesn't seem to be causing anyones eyebrows to raise, I must be doing something right!

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate having all of you to learn from.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Are you planning on adding molasses to the water for the whole month? I'd advise against it. Too much molasses can cause digestive upsets. Plain water is best. Don't overthink it, your goats will be fine with good hay and pellets if that's what you're feeding. ;)