Feeding your dog raw food

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just tried our dogs with a piece of raw meat to see what the reation was, George licked it, dropped it, licked it again then decided yummy, and ate it.

Max just dropped it on the floor, and I couldn't coax her to eat it, ha I remember Max doesn't like large pieces, I cut it into small pieces and gone in an instant. :lol:

So as far as eating the raw meat is concerned it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I am going to do a little more research and then make the switch.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Remember that muscle meat is very rich for dogs and should be fed more as a supplement, as it can give them gas and digestive upset if too much is fed. That is why I choose wings....mostly bone, tendon, skin, very little muscle. Stripped frames are great and are often free if you can find them!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Remember that muscle meat is very rich for dogs and should be fed more as a supplement, as it can give them gas and digestive upset if too much is fed. That is why I choose wings....mostly bone, tendon, skin, very little muscle. Stripped frames are great and are often free if you can find them!
And I'm hoping for lots of bones back from the processor, keep the jaw strong and keep the dog busy chewing a nice meaty bone!

I can't wait to get my meat back, I remember my mothers stews as a kid with all the bones in the pot, and I remember fighting over the bones with my siblings, so we could have the marrow...
My father used to spread the marrow on bread and eat it with salt and pepper (after it was cooked)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My neighbor's dog recently ate a deer head....I had to call my dog off it everytime we went for a walk until the darn thing was gone! :lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
freemotion said:
My neighbor's dog recently ate a deer head....I had to call my dog off it everytime we went for a walk until the darn thing was gone! :lol:
:sick I saw a dog the other day trying to pull a deer from the side of the road, the deer was twice the size of the dog, and frozen in place.... next week I saw the same dog still trying to tug and pull at the deer... this week - no dog! Deer is still there... probably still frozen!

Is there a guideline on dog size and amount of food?
My dog weighs around 75 pounds, an australian cattle dog.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Is there a guideline on dog size and amount of food?
My dog weighs around 75 pounds, an australian cattle dog.
My rule is just enough so as they don't stare at you while asleep, remember you are made of meat. My 80lb pit eats 20oz of dry and raw should be less. just a guess.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

My rule of thumb is to introduce new foods gradually when possible (some exceptions, like when the current diet is very toxic) and to use the eyeball method....how does the animal look and act?

My older dog is 30 lbs and gets two chicken wings a day. When he was underweight and growing and just newly started on raw, he got five wings a day, divided into two meals. He weaned himself off morning meals long before I would've. He went to three wings, then when he actually started to look chunky, he went to two.

Don't know if this helps as a guide, but you get the idea. Feeding is not as complex as the petfood industry would like you to think.....has conditioned us to think.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Well I bought some wings at the store the other day, and have been giving them to Ginja now and then, while keeping an eye on her food dish - with dry food in it.
She's had three wings today, and hasn't touched her other food. She seems to be thrilled with this :D
She got two this morning, and the third one as a treat for breaking up a duck fight! :th

It not new food to her, I've been giving her odds and ends since she was a puppy.
When the chickens are laying well, she'll get an egg while out doing chores. (not every day, but I'd say every 2-3 days) or if there is a cracked egg or very dirty egg - she get it. (shell and all)

Its hard to find meat in stores that still has the bone in, but when I do - I will cut the bone out myself and give it to her before cooking, it normally has a good amount of meat on it - and she'll spend HOURS with that bone!