Fels Naphtha safety

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Henrietta, you're allowed....personally, I am always struggling to "pick my poison." What can I do to be more "green" and more ss and more health conscious without going insane? (More insane, that is.... :idunno )
Thanks, I needed to hear that!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I did finally hear back from Dial. Here is what they had to say:
January 5, 2009

Dear Mrs. Bxxxxx,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding Fels Naptha Laundry Bar
Soap.

Product formulations and ingredients lists are considered propriety for
competitive purposes, except as dictated for labeling purposes by regulations
and legislation. We comply with all labeling requirements for national and
global distribution. However, we can supply information on ingredients when it
involves medical treatment. The medical authority can request verification of
specific ingredients and we will supply that information to the physician for
assistance in treatments.

If we can be of further assistance, you may call us toll free at 1-800-258-3425
between 6:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time Monday through Friday.

Consumer Affairs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm....not to be trusted. But now I have 9 batches containing Fels....Well, when you divide a bar by 3 and then again by 64 loads, then rinse with vinegar, it's probably not too bad. I hope my homemade version cleans as well. Give me a month or two, I'll keep ya posted.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Surely FelsNaptha not any worse than something like Tide or Cheer. Plus it's about a zillion times less expensive, which is a point in it's favor.

Someone earlier posted that they made liquid from Dr. Bronners Castille soap. I might give that a try. It's a vegetable based soap as opposed to petroleum. My son has really bad eczema, so we've been using BioKleen powder for years. It's not expensive and it cleans fairly well. But it looks to me like the homemade recipe is still significantly more economical.

chickencrazymamahen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Just thought I would make a note....all my mom used for her laundry was 1/2 bar of Fels Naptha for as long as I can remember in her wringer washer....she's 91...takes only 1 heart pill a day and still helps feed the chickens.....so if there is something in it, it can't be toooo bad I guess...Just thought I mention it!! Good luck, I'll keep using Fels....Ivory changed their formula, don't care for it anymore....:)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I grew up near a Fels Naptha plant in Philly. It did change the creek interesting colors, and it was well known not to go in that water. But, I think that the dilution and rinsing in the laundry is most likely rinsing anything caustic out of the clothes. It's not like I'm bathing in it!

My home made soaps are all on the "conditioning" side of the soap equation. I don't think they'd make good laundry soap, or I would use them!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I take it no one here has tried homemade bar soap as a substitute for the Fels?

I haven't made my own laundry soap yet, I can't find anything but the borax. I read somewhere that the washing soda, sodium carbonate, is also pool ph balancer, but haven't looked, as it is not pool season here for a while. Any opinions on this?

I see no reason to make my own if it is not better for me and for the environment. Even if it washes out of my clothing, it is going to ultimately end up in our water supply. That is something I think about more and more.
I know a lot of people make their own laundry soap to save money (and believe me I like saving money) but my point was more to help the environment and safeguard my health. The bar of fels naptha I bought in anticipation of making my own laundry soap is still sitting there next to the borax and washing soda because...it smells too strongly. I am waiting to find out if I can make laundry soap without fels naptha in it...I don't know if the borax and washing soda would be enough to clean the clothes.