Fence Posts.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
The boards across the top will not be a substitute for a corner brace. They will help stabilize movement along the straight line of posts when used with a brace.

Not certain what your set up is but you can run a long post from the bottom of one post to the upper third of the corner post (angle) on both sides of the corner post; l l l/l\l l l -best I can do to illustrate.

This is what we do with locust posts. They are the hardest things to nail and screw into so I pre drill a partial hole. We just nail them on after cutting an angle on the ends.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not quite, but similar. My fence posts are cedar, and they're a bit different. If I knew how to upload pics, I'd take a pic of ours and post them/

I agree though, If this is your first time putting up a fence, there are companies you can talk to regarding the best set up precedure for what you are trying to accomplish. They'll give you suggestions, and they are usually the best ones to talk to about this. For example--corner posts are very important, and depending on what you are using for containment--plays a big role on how big your corner posts are, and bracing.

Oh, and learn from our mistakes---- really really REALLY think long and hard about your gate placement

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. Storms today.
The metal fencing we will be useing is called "farm fence" It is graded for sheep. ( thats what we will be putting in there) We will be stretching it...once we get the corners figured out! LOL
The locust posts are between 4 and 6 inches...the corner posts are about 8 to 10 inches. We sunk them 2 1/2 feet into the ground. THey are pretty strong! I know we have to support the corners...it just escapes me as to how would be the strongest way.
Sylvie, we thought about putting ours that way as well....however..with the diameter of the posts, we dont have naiuls long enough to go through. :/ I have seen a setup...the corners have a post about 3 feet off the ground between the corner post and the next 2 outer post I-I sorta like that, and a wire of some sort at an angle from the bottom of the outside post, to the top of the corner post...with some sort of metal thing, you screw to tighten the wire. ?? Does that make sence?? LOL I just dont know where to get one of those metal thingies. :rolleyes: Oh, and the gate is our biggest issue I think. I am thinking we will just go out and buy a premade....aluminum gate. Something light, but durable. Oh jeesh, this fence is gonna kick my butt...I can just tell! :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I know locust lasts a long time but ANY wood will last longer without the bark, and considering the expense and *labor* involved in setting a buncha fences, dot dot dot. Personal choice, though.

Justusnak, if you have never built this sort of fence before I would strongly suggest either getting help from someone who has, or as a (not as good) substitute get yourself a copy of Fences for Pasture and Garden by Gail Damerow (yes, same person who wrote the chicken books). It is encyclopedically comprehensive and gives very good directions for choosing, setting, and bracing corner posts.

I say this because there are a lot of things that might seem insignificant but can *really* mess up your fence after a year or two (sometimes less) and unfortunately errors in choosing/setting/bracing fenceposts usually cannot be fixed except the hard way, by redoing the entire job, and you REALLY don't wanna have to do that. Nor do you want to have to live with a chronically wibbly fence.

Good luck, have fun, take the time to do it *right* because wrong will turn out to really suck :p,

Pat

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since you are going to stretch your wire you are going to have to brace the corners. You have been given some good advice by those who are suggesting that you get some help from experienced people with your project. You said:

I have seen a setup...the corners have a post about 3 feet off the ground between the corner post and the next 2 outer post I-I sorta like that, and a wire of some sort at an angle from the bottom of the outside post, to the top of the corner post...with some sort of metal thing, you screw to tighten the wire. ?? Does that make sence?? LOL I just dont know where to get one of those metal thingies.

It sounds like you are describing an eye bolt that has long enough threads to go through your post with a couple of inches of threads left over. You can bore a hole up towards the top of your corner post and another hole towards the bottom of your next post. On the corner post, you will want to bore your hole about 8 inches down from the top. Put you eye bolt in the holes that you drilled with the eye on the inside, put a washer on the threaded end, and then put on the nut about half an inch. Tie you brace wire to each eye tightened as tightly as you can get it by hand. After this is done, use a wrench to tighten the eye bolts until you get the brace wire as tight as you want it.

I think you could go to a hardware store or a farm store or some place that handles fencing supplies and just start describing what you want. They'll be glad to help. Be sure to get you questions answered, and don't let them intimidate you in any way. If you don't understand what they are explaining, see if they will show you on a post there in the store.

Keep us informed and tell those store people that Tallman sent you. :gig

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I need to run into town tomorrow, to return the auger....so I will go to the next town, to TSC, and tell them, Tallman sent me and told me to ask about the corner fence braces! :D I just want to make sure we do this right...and NOT have to do this again. We have never built a "farm fence" before..just a split rail for the back yard dog area. That was easy. THIS has me stumped...and because our sheep will be in there, I want it to last ....well........forever! LOL I know, nothing is forever, but I hope it to last at least a long long long time! :p Fence building isnt as easy as dig, set, stretch, and go and I SURE dont want to have to do this again! :lol: We set the posts in one day...and I am here to tell ya, we are both SORE! We were both sitting watching the news, after dinner, with a cup of coffee. Hubby said...I dont think I can lift that cup! HAHA! Those corner posts were a few hundred pounds each EASY! Something about being almost 50, makes the body hurt quicker. :/ Once we get it figured out, I will get pics....hopefully before we stretch the fence, and get ya'lls advice. ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well.....we were able to get the corner posts braced. I will have to get pics tomorrow. We used 8 inch metal rods...drilled into the posts, and into the braces. Fitted them in place...and used high tension wire from the bottom of the vorner post, to the middle/top of the next post....took a piece of allthread...and twisted the wire tight. Then...the rain! We have had so much rain...havent been able to get out there to stretch the fencing yet. I will try to get pics tomorrow..and post them. Thanks for asking. We WILL get this fence in....one day! LOL
This is a picture I took....with the metal rod we used.
99_metal_rod.jpg

I will get pics of the finished braces tomorrow.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The sun is FINALLY out, and I was able to get a few pics of what we have done so far....hope this is right. Please let me know, if you think we will have to replace it. The cross boards are hard oak. I tried to tell DH I dont think they will work, but he said they will "be fine"
We drilled holes in the post, and the cross board...and inserted metal rods...
99_metal_rod.jpg

Then with high tension wire...we tightened up the corners...
99_fencewir.jpg

99_fencesup.jpg

99_cornerfe.jpg

I hope this is right...we will be stretching the fence tomorrow....Saturday. Whew...what a long waite to get this in. I will be glad when its DONE!

ETA: Once the fence is stretched, we will take a saw, and top off the posts, so that they are all the same height...and put boards horizontally from post to post. Like a rail fence. These boards will be black locust like the posts.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks good. Did you notch the post or drive in a staple so the twisted wire can not slide up or down on the post? If this is taken care of you should be good to go.:thumbsup