Fermented Saurkraut?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it will cut the fermenting time....I only ferment for 3 days, then it goes into the fridge for aging. I suspect (strongly) that you still will want to age it for better flavor.

And my instincts also say, "Make one for pennies!!!" But if you are willing to spend the money and it is worth it to you to save the hassle of the trip, go for it and enjoy it! If you like it, you can put the word out for gallon jars with plastic lids and you can order the airlocks and rubber stoppers online from a beer and winemaking supply place for about $2-3 each and have gallons of stuff bubbling in your cupboards....yum!

I will be buying some airlocks and stoppers (we have an easy-access store on the way to dh's work) and trying this out myself, thanks for the idea!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My first instinct is always make it for pennies. But a trip across town to the store I need would take at least an hour and its less than 10 miles. Not to mention the hour back. So I figure if I am having to pay shipping on the parts and pieces I might as well just pay shipping on the whole thing. Plus right now my time is at a minimum. But since you think its worth making I figure its a usable product. I ordered it before I typed this. I will report back once it arrives.
Fingers crossed that its decent. :fl

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I started my kraut 2 days ago in the picklemeister. No smell at all escapes the jar. Which is one reason I wanted it.

I used a small jelly jar full of water as the weight. If anyone orders this, do not order the accessory. Its nothing by an anchor hocking bowl with a blue plastic lid, yes it fits inside the jar but you can't get it in and out without turning it sideways and even then its difficult.

I would post pics but my camera has been giving me some problems with battery life. It seems to be sucking the life out of a battery in 24 hours even when its off. So once again it is dead.

So yes, I think its worth making for those who have the resources and time. For those who don't, to me its worth the 20 bucks.

One more thing. The jar is glass, every thing else is plastic. So I would not suggest the dishwasher for the lids and airlock.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Backyard Homestead says to start with 5 lbs. (carefully weighed to ensure correct cabbage-to-salt proportions).
Sprinkle on 3 tablespoons kosher salt, mix well with spoon or hands.
Allow 15-20 minutes for cabbage to wilt slightly).
Pack into a 1-gallon jar. Press firmly with hands or wooden spoon until juice is drawn out to cover cabbage.
Place heavy duty plastic bag over cabbage and fill with water, allowing no air to reach cabbage.
Ferment for 5-6 weeks.
Gas bubbles indicate that fermentation is occurring.

Our neighbor brought me a quart of kraut he made last year in his crockpot and said he only used about 3 spoons of salt. It was pretty good, still awfully salty tasting. His was pinkish/tan colored. I'd like mine to look whiter. What's it need to accomplish that?