Fermented Saurkraut?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
2 jars of kraut fermenting on the counter!

:weee

It also looks like I have some ginger I forgot about so I can ferment that too :D

You'll love the book and I am sure you will still find something to ferment.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have been using my minced fermented garlic to cook with and I love it! And last night I made General Tso's chicken (recipe to be posted soon....too pooped now! It is a sugar-free, ultra-healthy version that is to-die-for!) and forgot to pick scallions for it before dark. Was gonna go out with a flashlight....then said, "Naaah!" and used some fermented scallions. Super-yum!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I have been using my minced fermented garlic to cook with and I love it! And last night I made General Tso's chicken (recipe to be posted soon....too pooped now! It is a sugar-free, ultra-healthy version that is to-die-for!) and forgot to pick scallions for it before dark. Was gonna go out with a flashlight....then said, "Naaah!" and used some fermented scallions. Super-yum!
Good gravy! My husband would kiss my feet (well, maybe not) if I came up with his very favorite oriental recipe!!!

I still have 100s of garlic bulbs left, so maybe when they are past their best storage date, I could ferment them to save the rest...

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I am finally ready to make this fermented sauerkraut. The cabbages in the garden have been taking their own sweet time growing within our drought ridden summer and early fall.

I read that the cabbage should be finely shredded, but what does that mean? I have read elsewhere that 1/4" shreds are desirable but this thread seems to indicate 1/8" or less.

And- what color should successfully fermented kraut be?
My failed batch years ago was purplish and contained no red or purple cabbage, just green cabbage! I am using green again this time.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
About 1/4" is what we do. Kind of like a chunky slaw.

Your kraut should be a pretty whitish color.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Your finished kraut should be the same color it was when it went into the jar. Pound it well and make sure no air gets to it. Maybe it got too warm? Who knows....fermenting is always an adventure!

I use a food processor, so my shreds are very small. I add carrots to mine because I like the color....that whitish-green is pretty boring to me.

I still have a little in my fridge from last year and it is still good!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My 2 jars are almost gone! LOL

Hubby really liked it apparently :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying!

Can't recall if air got to my ancient history batch. I think I followed an old MEN article for instruction. It certainly didn't mention whey or sea salt back then, lol!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The salt is to protect it until the lactic acid has a chance to build up. The recipes in NT call for gagging amounts of salt in some of the recipes, so I am always happy to read a recipe that calls for less salt. After a couple of years of fermenting experiments, I am leaning towards more salt if I ferment something in warmer weather, and less salt at cooler temps.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The salt is to protect it until the lactic acid has a chance to build up. The recipes in NT call for gagging amounts of salt in some of the recipes, so I am always happy to read a recipe that calls for less salt. After a couple of years of fermenting experiments, I am leaning towards more salt if I ferment something in warmer weather, and less salt at cooler temps.
Good guidelines.
Would adding more lactic acid be beneficial or does the certain amount achieve all that it is able, with more being useless?

I had NT for 12 weeks but the library wanted it back. Go figure. :p
I hope I get it for Xmas. I did copy some recipes while I had it.