Fermented Saurkraut?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is why Sally Fallon recommends adding some whey. It innoculates your ferment with a huge dose of lactic acid producing bacteria and greatly speeds up the process. These bacteria are present in the veggies, but take a bit of time to really get going. That is why organic veggies are recommended. I don't have access to everything organic, so I use my organic kefir whey. I used whey from Stonyfield organic yogurt before I had the goat and the kefir, and it worked great.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Question!
If I want to make another batch of sauerkraut, can I use the liquid that my successful sauerkraut is producing for the next batch? It already has all the right stuff and I would only add salt. In theory this seems the same as the whey that I originally added. Yes? No?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sure makes sense! It seems like it would super-jumpstart the whole process. I have not actually done this, but this is exactly the concept behind buttermilk, yogurt, kefir and other fermented foods...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Timely that I find this here today! I wanted to let Punkin know that we made her recipe on Sept 1 and just ate some last week on some brats....it was delish! Hubby loved it ....so much better than store bought! :thumbsup

Thank you Puinkin!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Sure makes sense! It seems like it would super-jumpstart the whole process. I have not actually done this, but this is exactly the concept behind buttermilk, yogurt, kefir and other fermented foods...
Thanks, me&thegals! I needed back up on my theory! I'm putting it into action today. Will let you know how it works :pop

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Let us know! Cabbage was super cheap at the Mexican grocery store and I now have 5 heads of cabbage that need something done to them :D

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Questions for you all on the saurkraut. Read the whole thread and have a little confusion (that's pretty normal for me). I have my cabbage chopped in a stainless mixing bowl, two medium cabbages. How much salt and can I pound it in that container? I will transfer some to a quart jar to ferment for fresh use and some to pint jars to can. Do I weight it down in the jar with a baggie? Cover with liquid? Put the jar lid on loosely. Do all of the above?Wahh!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have kind of skimmed through this thread and thought, gee why not ask my question here plus revive a good thread.

Has anyone ever used this product

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Picklemeister.php

I have been looking for a fermenting crock (I know, I can just use a pint or quart jar but I love crocks).

I came across the picklemeister and thought what a cool contraption that cuts down of fermenting time - that is if it works.

Thoughts please.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You can make one of those in about 2 minutes and for less than $3. Take a trip to your local home brew supply place, buy an air lock and a stopper. Then take a leftover pickle jar, and drill a hole in the lid that will fit your stopper size.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks WZ but I don't have a local store that sells that kind of stuff without making a nightmare trip to the mall. I also don't have a pickle jar with a lid. I would almost rather pay triple the price than go to the mall here.

Do you think it would really cut fermenting time down to 4 or 5 days as it claims? If so for me it would be worth the 20 bucks plus a few dollars shipping.