Fermented Saurkraut?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
Wow, thanks everybody, those are awesome ideas.

What kind of cabbage is especially suited for saurkraut?

Once it's done fermenting and you put it in the fridge, how long does it last?

I too love fermented foods, I would really love to try making kefir sometime. Has anyone made it? Maybe I'll have to start a seperate thread for that. :)
I was given some kefir grains a couple of years ago. A few things I've learned with the kefir is that 1) I don't like it as well as yogurt; I can't drink it straight, though mixed with fruit in a smoothie it is quite palatable. 2) It is better if, after straining out the grains, the finished kefir is kept in a closed jar at room temperature overnight or longer. It mellows it out somehow, and the screwed down lid encourages a slight fizziness. 3) It can be used wherever buttermilk or sour milk might be called for in baking - though that kills the good bacteria of course. And 4) chickens love it! My 4 girls get a handful of oatflakes swimming in kefir every morning as a treat; in winter it would be warm oatmeal porridge. Iceblink, my grains are ready to be divided. If you would like I would be happy to send you some - only proviso being that you pass some on to someone else at some point :D

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I planted a ton of cabbage this year and wanted to make sauerkraut but didn't have a clue. Wanted to order a crock from Lehmans but can't afford it this year so these ideas will help. As far as
Kefir goes I love that with cow and goat but ruined my grains so have to find more.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You don't need an expensive crock.. I found an old crock pot insert at good will. It didn't have a lid, so it was like $.50! It works very well for sauerkraut.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What a creative re-purposing for a crockpot crock! I use quart canning jars and gallon glass jars. I just got a two-gallon glass jar with a lid at Target that I couldn't resist on a retail therapy trip....oh, so rare.....and I found ugly water crocks with spigots for a mere pittance at a discount store and got three of them. One holds my continuous-brew kombucha. They hold 3 gallons, and have no lids, as they were designed for those big five gallon water bottles to sit on top.

I am ready for some serious fermenting!

I'm still looking for some kefir grains, but no longer have any faith that the USPS will get them to me. Three attempts and still no kefir grains. One limp, damp, and stinky package made it here this week, almost two weeks in transit. Sheesh.

No one responded to my e-mails on the kefir-share site, people within driving distance. I may put an ad on craigslist.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
What a creative re-purposing for a crockpot crock! I use quart canning jars and gallon glass jars. I just got a two-gallon glass jar with a lid at Target that I couldn't resist on a retail therapy trip....oh, so rare.....and I found ugly water crocks with spigots for a mere pittance at a discount store and got three of them. One holds my continuous-brew kombucha. They hold 3 gallons, and have no lids, as they were designed for those big five gallon water bottles to sit on top.

I am ready for some serious fermenting!

I'm still looking for some kefir grains, but no longer have any faith that the USPS will get them to me. Three attempts and still no kefir grains. One limp, damp, and stinky package made it here this week, almost two weeks in transit. Sheesh.

No one responded to my e-mails on the kefir-share site, people within driving distance. I may put an ad on craigslist.
I agree, no one really needs a crock for suaerkraut; my first batch was done successfully in quart canning jars. But a nice crock is a lovely addition to the kitchen.

freemotion, my offer above to Iceblink can be extended. I have at the moment enough kefir grains to be divided 4 ways - for myself and 3 others. It isn't particularly cheap to send them through the post, but I will gladly pass them on to 3 people, with the promise that the recipients will pass on the gift later. I succesfully sent some to someone in Oklahoma, from Oregon, last summer, so perhaps it is possible to get them, still viable, to MA as well. Let me know if you want them, and we can arrange details. If not, well, the chickens love this stuff! :lol:

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Yes, I would love some grains. Have you made it with goat milk? And after it's done fermenting, do you ever add fruit? I have only ever drank fruity kefir from the store.

Should I send you a money order or check for postage? Let me know. Thank you so much!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Iceblink, I have sent you an e-mail. I have started an experiment with dehydrating the grains. In a week or so I will rehydrate them and see how that goes. It will certainly make it easier to mail them if it works. As to goat's milk, no, I haven't tried that, but I'm sure it would be nice. Unfortunately I am limited to store bought milk, and DH would not be thrilled if I brought home goat milk :lol:. And I love my kefir fruit smoothies, and also like smoothies/cold "buttermilk" soups made with kefir and veggies and herbs - tomato and basil, for example, or cucumber, dill and a bit of garlic. I haven't developed a taste for kefir in it's pure state :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Goat's milk will work. Most products that you get in the store won't be anything like homemade, nor will they have the health benefits, at least not to the degree of homemade.....you just can't ship live cultures and store them readily. As I found out with my attempts to receive shipped kefir grains.....

So it is very worthwhile to make your own fermented foods, and pretty easy, too!

ETA: AND a fraction of the price!

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made most of my kefir from goat milk. I wish I could find cheap crocks here. If someone has one at an auction or garage sale they usually go way high. I was really excited a month ago to get a beautiful milk can for ten dollars until I got it home and they had been using it to store motor oil. :(

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
jambunny said:
I made most of my kefir from goat milk. I wish I could find cheap crocks here. If someone has one at an auction or garage sale they usually go way high. I was really excited a month ago to get a beautiful milk can for ten dollars until I got it home and they had been using it to store motor oil. :(
What do you call high for a crock? Around here at auction a 10 gallon crock goes for about $30 to $35.