Fermented Saurkraut?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tallman said:
jambunny said:
I made most of my kefir from goat milk. I wish I could find cheap crocks here. If someone has one at an auction or garage sale they usually go way high. I was really excited a month ago to get a beautiful milk can for ten dollars until I got it home and they had been using it to store motor oil. :(
What do you call high for a crock? Around here at auction a 10 gallon crock goes for about $30 to $35.
Wow, I don't know about the rest of the country, but here I would call that incredibly cheap! I recently bought a crock (about 1 gallon, I'd say) in a 2nd hand/antique store for $35. My largest crock is 4 gal., bought new about 20 years ago for, I think, about $50. My most expensive crock is a Harsch sauerkraut crock, with a water seal, 10 liters (about 2 1/2 gallons), about $120 a couple of years ago, without shipping.

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would call that cheap also. The last one I saw at an auction went for around 80 dollars. I can get a new one cheaper.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Good condition crocks in our area are traditionally not inexpensive. We got a 2 gallon crock w/lid about 5 years ago for $75. And that was the cheapest one I could find!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ok, I made my first batch of saurkraut, as cabbage in in season now in my area. I put a water filled ziplock over the salted and packed cabbage and after 5 days it smells delicious! I don't know if it actually smells gross or if it is just me. I love strange smells, like sheep urine...

Anyway, since my origional post I have had Czech kraut and it had thin sliced onions and bacon in it. Of course no one in the restaraunt knew if they were added before or after the fermentation. Does anyone here know? Can you safely ferment things with meat products in them?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If there is enough salt in it and if you keep it cold, you can make corned beef....salt pork....and other brined meats. But I would feel safer adding the bacon when serving it.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I grew up in Germany, my mother always put finely chopped bacon into the saurkraut. Sometimes she would brown it first. Same with onions, sometimes she would add them to the kraut raw and sometimes she would sautee them with the bacon first.

This was added to the kraut when she was cooking it.
We have also added the following following liquids to the sauerkraut, when more liquid was needed for cooking: beer, white wine and apple juice.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
May I share both a recipe using sauerkraut, and an embarrassing language moment, with you? My DH is German, and my German knowledge is pretty good - none of my in-laws will speak English with me, so I have no choice :D (and now my German is better than their English anyway). Years ago we were in southern Germany, and stopped for lunch in a little town. On the menu was something called "Krautspaetzle". I knew that "Spaetzle" are a type of egg pasta, or little dumplings, and that "Kraueter" (plural) are herbs, so I immediately thought "Ah, herbed noodles, that sounds nice", and I ordered it. Now, most likely any American with *no* German language skills would have seen that, and said "ah, cabbage!" but not me :lol:; a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :D. What arrived on the table, of course, was Spaetzle with Sauerkraut. I have never been fond of Sauerkraut. But this was actually very tasty, so I reverse engineered the recipe, and make it every so often now in my own kitchen. And even make my own Sauerkraut for it :).

Spaetzle are incredibly easy to make -*if* you have the right equipment. This neat little gadget will help you make fresh noodles in a matter of minutes:

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/38lspaetzle.html

Originally cooks would put the dough on a board, and cut it off in little pieces, pushing the bits into the boiling water. Since I have a Spaetzle maker I don't bother with that.

The recipe below sounds complicated, but really isn't. However, if it is just too much, you could substitute a dried noodle. Wouldn't be the same. of course, but would probably be quite good. I think I would use the little spiral Fusilli noodles.

Spaetzle with Sauerkraut - This, plus a salad, would be enough for 2 for a filling lunch or supper.

Spaetzle -

1 rounded cup of all purpose flour
2-3 eggs (depending on size) (More egg = less oil/water)
pinch of salt
1 Tbls oil (I use olive oil)
Water as necessary

Combine ingredients in a bowl, adding water only as necessary, until dough has an elastic consistency (when a spoonful is lifted out of the bowl, it should stretch from the bowl to the spoon). If the mixture is too watery, it will not stick together once it's placed in boiling water. Meanwhile heat a large saucepan with water to boiling. Place the Spaetzle maker (if using) over the pot, spoon the dough into the sliding cup, and run the cup back and forth over the holes, forcing the dough through into the water. Or plop the dough onto a small cutting board, or flat plate, and cut off small pieces, pushing them into the water. As the Spaetzle cook they will float to the top; cook for a couple of minutes and then fish them out with a slotted spoon into a colander to drain. Repeat, as necessary, with any leftover dough. (This can all be done in advance)

For the rest of the recipe:

2 slices of bacon, diced - OR
1 thick slice of of ham or Canadian bacon, diced
!/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced (not original, but I like it)
1/2 tsp caraway
1 cup of drained Sauerkraut
Chopped parsley to garnish

Fry the bacon (if using) until the fat has rendered out, and the bacon is almost crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the fat. OR heat some bacon fat/lard/oil. Saute onions in hot fat until translucent, adding garlic shortly before the onions are done. Add the cooked Spaetzle, caraway, Sauerkraut, bacon or ham. Salt and pepper to taste (probably not much salt). Stir to mix, and fry until bottom is well browned. Serve with parsley sprinkled over. (My recipe notes say that tomato salad with basil is a good accompaniment).

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
ORChick, that sounds so good. I never really thought I would be a saurkraut lover, but now it seems I can't get enough of it. I'll have to screw up my courage and try making my own noodles. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ORChick and FarmerDenice one word...YUM! Iceblink, I too can't get enough of this new fermented sauerkraut either thanks for starting this thread!!

Mine Mutter und Pater sprechen die Deutch. I also took it in school for two years. I don't now if I spelled any of this German right or not...it has been too long!

Every evening mom would shout: "Sally cum und essen!!"

My teacher would say "Roust bit ein cowgummy!!" (I used to be an obnoxious gum chewer.)

That is all I can remember and please feel free to check my spelling! I would love to take a class again.