Fire Cider Tonic

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In my house we use TONS of all the ingredients you find in this stuff on a daily basis. We are usually pretty healthy and it is no surprise. We enjoy the flavors, but more importantly, I have always realized the health properties of them. I've never mixed them and steeped them, but I don't see how it could be any different from just using the ingredients in every day cooking/eating.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been using mine as a baste for ribs.......... now that is some good stuff there! I just tried a tsp of it and wow does it catch your attention! But, it does make you clean out your lungs a bit. ufda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bet that would be good, citylife! :drool

Woke up this morning with a raging case of sinus pressure and have been sipping on a cup of fire cider tea for the better part of the day. Finally feeling atleast half human, again! :hide

Still adding it to suitable dinner items, several times a week, also.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe I should try that. I think it would help w/my Meniere's.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Probably would, Deb. I have a batch that is just about ready.... I'm a little scared to try it since I am not fond of spicy stuff, but I am sure it could help me (and a few other people I know!)

padma

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I made a small batch with the best versions of the ingredients that I could get my hands on. It helps with my allergy related cough. I put some in my tea but I'm thinking of adding it to soup. Mine came out tasting very savory with a nice spicy kick. I can't wait to make a new batch with better ingredients. I just have to be sure not to have it on an empty stomach or else it kinda burns.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sent my brother and his wife to pick up a ginger root at big-mart, and they returned with a huge horseradish root instead! "It was in the ginger bin!" OK, sure. Now I have to go back in to get fresh ginger for my kombucha. Oh well, at least now I will have the horseradish for fire cider tonic. May as well look for some fresh cayenne while I'm out there. :D

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was looking for somethig on the net and discovered another recipe for Dawn's fire cider, 'cept this one has fresh rosemary and sage in it, as well as the ginger, onion, garlic, horseradish and ground cayenne pepper in the ACV. It, too, sounds like it would be excellent.

Oh, and after it ages a month, you strain, heat and add 1/4 cup honey.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Would you happen to still have the link for that recipe, so lucky?

I took 2 small bottles of my FCT over to my moms on our last "civilized" visit, for the family to try. Didn't really expect much of a good reception on it. Well, she stopped by today to drop of some soil amendments for my garden and let me know that my BIL loves it (and wishes it was hotter) and that she and my dad have been taking it regularly! :celebrate

Guess what they're getting for Christmas this year! :gig

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wanted to do a quick update...

So, my BIL took the tonic for a day and decided that it didn't work! :rolleyes: My stepdad had been on it for a week and was no longer congested, then dear BIL told dad it didn't work so he's quit taking it , too, and is congested again! :smack

I've gotten a gallon and a half of it in different steeping stages, right now, with the ingredients on hand to do at least another gallon...as soon as the paper cut on my index finger heals over. Am I a light-weight, or what? :gig

Doc came up with an interesting suggestion this evening...put the left-over ingredients that are strained from the vinegar into the food processor and make a paste with them. That is so on the to-do experiment list! :D

Well, great minds think alike...I just read back through this and dma1974 thought about putting them in the food processor, too! :D