Fire fuel for heating - what do you use?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed, if you paid that son-of-a-seacook with a check so you have proof, you ought to take him to small claims court. Even if you don't feel it's a lot of money, he needs to learn that such behavior is not acceptable.

We contemplated it. She paid him with cash but we had his call that my brother intercepted saying he had only delivered half the load and would be bringing the other half.

But...in the long and short of it, it was worth the money lost to not have to fight over it, even if we could have brought him to justice...in his own county, filled with people in office that are his relatives.

Best to leave him to the Lord, Who is not slack in taking revenge on those who would harm His children.

Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation. Psalm 68:5

The Lord watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin. Psalm 146:9

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Other than a mild bit of cold and snow about a week ago, it's been mild here. No heat needed to keep the house comfortable.

Bathroom has a space heater, but that is because I like it warm in there. It's always the warmest place in the house. Driest too unless we just showered.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Last time we ordered wood, we got cheated as well. It was supposed to be 2 cords of oak. It was only about a cord, and was very little oak. And what we did have didn't seem to heat the house that well. I couldn't even tell for sure what it was-which is rare. I seriously wonder if it might have been willow.

Main trees we burn are oaks, cherry, and maple. At times, we might get some walnut, hickory, dogwood or sassafras and very rarely birch. While there are other types of trees in the area, you don't normally see them as firewood, especially the pine. Almost no one burns any type of conifer inside.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We burn dry pine and love it! Makes for a hot and quick fire when one needs it. We mix it in with the oak so we get the best of both woods.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I would burn pine if it wasn't for my hubby. He's sure that doing so is going to mess up the chimney, so I don't-except for starting a fire. But, there is so much pine in the woods next to us that it would be easy get.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use cedar and douglas fir. It's the wood available here. Burns just fine and we haven't had any real buildup. The chimney sweep has asked if we even burn very much each year.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Nothing special in my house. Just wood.

We have our own forest so we harvest ourselves and rent a log splitter. Wood we use is mostly red maple. Sometimes elm or oak and could be a few other hardwoods as well. We've only been here a year, so we've only gone through this process once. We didn't haul enough trees out last winter so we'll probably have to buy a cord or two again this year. But we'll get better and more efficient as the years go by.

Unfortunately, the location of the wood stove is such that the upstairs doesn't really get heated. So in our bedrooms we have space heaters for nighttime. We also have propane, but it also doesn't heat the house efficiently :\.

Why rent when you can own? We have an electric splitter, it does a great job. And I know a few people that have the manual splitter. They say it works well.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why rent when you can own? We have an electric splitter, it does a great job. And I know a few people that have the manual splitter. They say it works well.

We need a heavy duty one - the kind that hooks up to the tractor. So it ends up being worth it if we just rent once or twice a year. We borrowed an electric last year and had a lot of wood that couldn't be split. Elm is just too hard.​

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a gas splitter, but I'm more likely to just use the splitting maul.

We buy our wood in spring or early summer the year before we will use it. I've found I prefer the 8-12 inch diameter trees. Less bark thickness and since our firebox is small, it makes it essier to cut in the proper size