Firehouse Sub Buckets

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The Firehouse Subs chain sells their used pickle buckets for $2 each. The money goes to charity. I bought a couple last night and they are excellent with great lids. Has anyone else used them? If so, what did you store in them? Were you able to get rid of the pickle smell? I don't think I'd store food in them unless I couldn't neutralize the pickle smell. Any ideas? Thanks Nikki

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have buckets from pickles and "pickled jalapenos stuffed with feta" (!) that I've got from local grocery store delis--I just washed them in the dishwasher (for tall buckets you need to take out the upper rack) and then left them out in the sun for a couple of days before using. You can also wash and dry them, and then sprinkle baking soda on the bottom and fill them with crumpled up newspaper, then close them up for a week--the baking soda and newspaper absorb a lot of the smell :)

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Great. Thanks so much. I'll give it a try. I love the idea that I get storage buckets and the money goes to the families of wounded firemen. Sounds like a perfect arrangement to me. My grandfather was a fireman.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could try to soak them in baking soda and water...
I'd probably use them to store animals feeds.. but i can imagine there are lots of things you can use them for..:)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
I have buckets from pickles and "pickled jalapenos stuffed with feta" (!) that I've got from local grocery store delis--I just washed them in the dishwasher (for tall buckets you need to take out the upper rack) and then left them out in the sun for a couple of days before using. You can also wash and dry them, and then sprinkle baking soda on the bottom and fill them with crumpled up newspaper, then close them up for a week--the baking soda and newspaper absorb a lot of the smell :)
UN perked coffee grounds will asorb a lot of nasty smells but do tend to leave a hint of coffee smell.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
A neighbor gives me his plastic coffee containers and they really pick up the coffee smell. I wash them in hot soapy water, air dry them, then store dried beans in them till I use up the beans. much milder smell afterwards.

Dry beans get rinsed and soaked anyway. No coffee taste later in the beans. They probably would help with the pickle smell too.

Or you could use one to make a big batch of your own pickles, or kraut. Lots of possibilities.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What kind of buckets are these? Are they 5 gallon pails, or smaller?

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Leta, They are 5 gallon buckets with really good lids that have gaskets. If you go to their website www.firehousesubs.com You can read about them.