First aid/emergency kits

Asher

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What do you feel are "must haves" for first aid/emergency kits? I would like at least one for the home and truly, I'd like one for each of our (3) vehicles. I think the vehicle ones will vary from the house one, though. Do you know of any good realistic lists on-line for this? I know there are some places on-line that sell them as a kit, too, but I thought it might be more cost effective to make them myself. Especially with the cheap box stores (Dollar Tree for instance) that sells meds, aspirin, bandaids, etc. these days.

Some things that I for sure want in mine are:
Bandaids
Alchohol Swaps
Gauze pads (for wounds)
Neosporin or something similar
The super glue stuff for quick "stitch" wound type of things
Aspirin

I know I'm missing some things, though that are must haves. My list will vary, too as I have one child with asthma so I would like at least the main vehicle and the home kit (my work car and DH's work car do not need these) to have an inhaler in it.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
in addition to the stuff mentioned, ours includes Benadryl for allergic reactions as our kids have many allergies (food and environmental) and an epi pen.

soap

ice packs (the chemical kind that activate when you want them to) I used to have a heat packet like this too, but lost it?

medicine dropper i fyou have an infant
or other accurate dispenser for medicines for older children

Most people swear you need a thermometer, but honestly, I can tell that my cihldren have a fever without a thermometer. That's just a waste of my time (only my personal experience.. b/c it IS recommended you ahve and use a thermometer)

diaper rash ointment

lots and lot's of bandaids

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
The best emergency kit you can have is a moterhome in my opinion all you need with it is a first aid kit and your set for anything you can make your own power keep food inside and have water.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Having gone through a tornado a few years ago I would like to add some things that people usually don't think about , but will definately need!!

In my basement I keep a heavy wooden box that has:

Basic first aid supplies (like those mentioned)
2 gallons of drinking water
2 days worth of canned food and an opener
Around 2 days worth of all our families medicine
2 days worth of dog food, and animal food
heavy gloves -to use for cleaning debris

I will have to go see what else I have in there. I check its contents every other month or so to make sure that everything is within the use by date. I also swap out the medicine with new stuff and make sure something has not been added.

When you go into a basement because of a storm and come out just a few minutes later to absolutely nothing left, it teaches you things!! We didn't have meds cause we could not find the medicine cabinet. The town we live in was also mostly destroyed. No stores were open. Only the National Guard Armory and one hardware store that ran off of a generator. You just came in and got what you could and no one even wrote it down. Most of us went back later to pay but the family that runs it just said no.

So anyway, just think of what you NEED everyday and put it somewhere safe and protected.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I feel fine with just:

clean water
mild soap
clean rags/cloths/whatever
sterile gauze pads (large - you can always cut 'em down)
vetrap or equivalent, for holding bandages on
epsom salts, for soaking wounds with early infection
acetominophen or other nsaids
flashlight WITH WORKING BATTERIES :p

Pat

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Everyone should have at least 5 days worth of food and water for each person in the house. Mainly water, we can go without food longer than we can water.

Then you need your basic first aid kits...........

Aspirin
Ibuprophin
Epi-pen (for alergic reactions)
Sting eze (for bee stings)
Chiggar Rid (for chiggar bites)
Bug repellant
Benedryl (for allergies)
Band-aids (small and x-large sizes)
Alcohol swabs
Peroxide
Betadine
Cotton swabs
Sterile Gauze
Ace bandage
2 flat sticks (for broken bone)
face mask
Emergency booklet (if available)
Blankets (anything to stay warm) reflective blankets work great
Ponchos (to stay dry)
Small umbrella (purchase at dollar tree)
Radio
Batteries
Flashlights
GLOVES< GLOVES< GLOVES

I could add more but its late and my brain is getting tired :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dont' have formal emergency kits---I just have my usual bandaids, OTC meds like aspirin, benedryl, etc. ....I don't have gauzes and fancy things..LOL

I have the usual household stuff and don't bother having a "kit" in the car or anywhere else.

Just me.

I did buy a Dollar Store type kit, Johnson and Johnson for the camper. I have no idea what's in it cause I stocked the camper with the usual stuff in the medicine cabinet...LOL...but it is squirrelled away in there if needed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CEF
motorhome is great but if you don't have a generator to run what you need, in an emergency it ain't helping.

I have a big travel trailer...nothing works without power. No generator in it.....I asked Tony if we lost power we could run on the propane in the camper--ya know heat and such...and nope. Can't.....so ?
LOL

But if I ever lost my home I sure could live in it hooked up to electricity somewhere :)