First aid/emergency kits

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't think any kit would be complete without Oreos <g>.

Other than that, bandaids/gauze. sewing needles and good thread for stitching, a sharp (SHARP!) knife, or even a scalpel if you can get one, peroxide, pain killers (aspirin, antibiotic cream with pain killer included, etc...) and then a list of herbals that will do whatever the OTC stuff will do, in case you cannot get the OTC stuff anymore.

There are so many plants and roots and such that will do most anything an OTC drug will do. Sometimes the plants do them better than the OTC drugs, because they are "whole" and not just one part derived from and manufactured into a pill or liquid.

I think that everyone should have at least a basic knowledge of what they can substitute for aspirin, anitbiotic creams, wound dressings, bee stings, etc...

For instance, homemade Comfrey oil or ointment with a little lavendar oil added in (or tea tree oil) will do better than neosporin or the like on scrapes and shallow cuts. Comfrey will heal these things practically overnight. (sometimes literally overnight).

Honey will stop bleeding and is antiseptic (or is it antibiotic - one of those - need coffee still). Spider webs will stop bleeding too, as will arrowroot powder.

There are many others, too numerous for my mind to come back with this time of day (I'm a slow starter, LOL).

Peace -
Meriah

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
after I had my son (my dh had already passed away before his birth so I was not in the best of places) I spent the winter researching any and all survival kits. I could not find any that I thought would really be help full so I designed and made my own. Same with my first aid kits. I have to go get one to give you a list of the contents. I actually sell them sometimes for $200 but they are well worth it! I will list them in a moment have to feed my ds breakfast first. But this is one of my favorite subjects so I will defiantly be back lol

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok here is the list of items in the travel survival kit keep in mind everything here fits into a very comfortable nap sack because I figured I could walk a long time while carrying it while holding my ds if necessary. I keep one of these in every car. Everything inside is high quality. I have a more complete one with seeds more food and clothes and such but that one is kept in my closet and is not as portable. If anyone is interested in them please message me I do sell them for $200 and they come with everything you see in the following list as well as the napsack that holds it all. My personal one also has a z-pack of antibiotics and pain killers I saved from when I had my c-section but those are things that you would have to supply yourself.

MAIN COMPARTMENT
Food Rations (enough for at least 3 days for 2 people)
Water Pouches (enough for at least 3 days for 2 people)
Freeze Dried Ice Cream (there has to be something yummy)
2 Space Blanket/Poncho (will reflex up to 90% of body heat)
Tube tent (shelter for 2 people)
Nylon rope
2 pairs of work gloves
Dyno flashlight
Crank Radio w/ light
Multi Tool (knife, pliers, screwdriver, saw, etc)
Multi Use Knife & Straps (It has a fixed blade and good strength w/ rubber grip)
2 Tree climbing foot things (generally used for hunters)

MIDDLE COMPARTMENT
Whistle, Magnifying Glass, Thermometer & Compass
2 Light Sticks
Hand Held Flares (use to summon help)
Cell phone Crank Charger w/ Adapters for all model phones
Waterproof Matches
Aqua Tablets (to make questionable water drinkable)
AA Batteries
2 Rain Ponchos
2 Tissue Packs
2 Antibacterial Wipes Packs

FRONT COMPARTMENT
Pen
Pencil
Notepad
Directions & Contacts

Black bag first aid kit:

Sam Splint
Eye care
Tape
Heat pack
Cold pack
Emergency Pressure dressing (for large wounds)
Latex Gloves
Surgical mask (for dust and some germs)
Second Skin Dressing Kit
Irrigation Syringe (use w/ clean water to flush out wound before closure & wrap)
Scissors & tweezers (located in inside pocket)
Lighter w/ led light and Blistex (located in front outside pocket)

ZIP LOCK BAG #1: SEVERE WOUND CARE

* TOURNIQUETE (ONLY USE IF NECCISARRY)
* TRAUMA PAD (LARGE GAUZE PAD)
* CONFORMING STRETCH WRAP (LONG GAUZE WRAP)
* SUPER STOP (LARGE BANDAGE COMPRESS DIRECTIONS ON PACKAGE APPLY THIS TO ALL COMPRESS BANDAGES)
* 2 WIDE COMPRESS BANDAGE
* 3 WIDE COMPRESS BANDAGE
* 6 ADHESIVE WOUND CLOUSURES (ACTS LIKE STITCHES)
* IRRIGATION SYRINGE AND WASH (FOR CLEANING WOUND)

ZIP LOCK BAG #2 GENERAL CARE

2 FINGER BAINDAIDS
2 KNUCKLE BAINDAIDS
3 BANDAIDS
1 2x 2 GAUZE
1 3x 3 GAUZE
FIRST AID TAPE
2x 2 MOLESQUIN PADS (FOR HOT SPOTS OR BLISTERS)
3 PACKS OF TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT
2 PACKS OF FIRST AID / BURN CREAM
3 IODINE WIPES
3 ANTISEPTIC WIPES
4 ALCOHOLE WIPES
2 STING RELIEF WIPES
1 ANTACID TABLETS PACK
2 IBUPROFEN TABLETS PACK
4 BENYDRYL TABLETS
4 ASPRIN TABLETS PACK
1 THERMOMETER
1 SAM FINGER SPLINT
SAFTY PINS
SEWING KIT

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Super glue is now a staple in my first aid kit! 9 yo got his hand cut by a chainsaw...13 yo did it by accident. I took him to the ER and there were no tendions cut so they super glued it! ER said and other people that I have talked to said that stitches are not the norm anymore. I used super glue on DD's toe when she cut it pretty bad a couple of weeks ago and it worked wonders!!

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Super glue is now a staple in my first aid kit! 9 yo got his hand cut by a chainsaw...13 yo did it by accident. I took him to the ER and there were no tendions cut so they super glued it! ER said and other people that I have talked to said that stitches are not the norm anymore. I used super glue on DD's toe when she cut it pretty bad a couple of weeks ago and it worked wonders!!
Oh yeah I dont know how I forgot that one! actually the type of glue that crazy glue is was originally invented as a surgical glue, somehow it allows oxygen though or some such thing. My late dh used it a few times as a quick fix when he would cut himself.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
AHappyChick said:
PamsPride said:
Oh yeah I dont know how I forgot that one! actually the type of glue that crazy glue is was originally invented as a surgical glue, somehow it allows oxygen though or some such thing. My late dh used it a few times as a quick fix when he would cut himself.
It is small and easy to pack in too!

I would LOVE to see some pictures!! I am such a visual person! Could you take a picture of the nap sack and then lay everything out that is in each compartment and take a pic??? Or would that be to hard to do?
There are 7 people (for now) in my family so to have 3 meals for 7 people for 3 days would be 21 meals!! I would have to do a whole separate pack just for food!

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
AHappyChick said:
PamsPride said:
It is small and easy to pack in too!

I would LOVE to see some pictures!! I am such a visual person! Could you take a picture of the nap sack and then lay everything out that is in each compartment and take a pic??? Or would that be to hard to do?
There are 7 people (for now) in my family so to have 3 meals for 7 people for 3 days would be 21 meals!! I would have to do a whole separate pack just for food!
sure I will do that later tonight. Since it is just me, my sis and my son, (well I have a boyfriend now as well so I guess I should include him lol) it is not as hard to fit everything in one bag.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Happy those are great list I will have to copy them over.

I found that on my favorite emergency supply web site they have a ton of recommendations. I just copied what they were trying to sell. First Aid kit, basic meds, food list, h20 purification, sanitary supplies, crank radio, amounts etc...

Farmer Chick, the trailer generator thing.... There are ways around it. We have a couple deep cycle batteries hooked up to an inverter. We charge them when we are home and use them up in the desert. We have a generator as well but I am up early and like to make coffee with out waking every one up.. Maybe you could look into something like that. Then there is the ultimate, adding the solar panel to charge the batteries. I had a camper I lived in while we built our home. It was set up that way. We always had 12volt. Even when the city power was out. MrsPuff is looking into solar right now. She may know,

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok here it is.

The knapsack has a side clip so that it does not pull on the zipper causing it to break, and a pad in the center of the back and on either side for added comfort. The straps are padded as well. I wanted it to be as comfortable as possible since it does have weight to it (maybe 30 lbs?) There are 2 side net pocket I leave empty for water bottles ect... and the medical kit is the smaller bag that I wedge in the elastic bungle in the front. So the two bags are easily carried as one, but the first aid kit can be removed in a second.

100_1313.jpg

100_1320.jpg

100_1312.jpg

100_1323.jpg

100_1325.jpg

Latest posts