First aid/emergency kits

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok inside contents of large compartment:

Oh the rope and a pair of gloves are missing (I just used them the other day and need to replace them still) and one of the tree climbing things is MIA. Also I have a few extras from what is on my list being that this is my personal pack and there have been things I saw that I just had to have. The 120 hour candle, fire starter extra sleeping weather proof bag, and extra blanket and rations. Also I carry a leatherman multi tool but could not afford to get them for all, instead there is a knock off version that is also in the pic. Oh and a burts bees remedy kit that I thought was cute.

100_1317.jpg

The middle pouch I have extra matches, and 2 wistles and a reflection devise to get noticed from afar:

100_1318.jpg

the front pouch just pens and notebook and where I have my directions and stuff (not included in pic)

100_1322.jpg

The medical kit:
100_1326.jpg

100_1329.jpg

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Happy Chick!! Awesome pics!! I am really wanting to make one of these up for my DH now because he has to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to work everyday!
The packets with the space guy...are those MRE's?? Then next to that...has a water drop on it...are those water purification tablets?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Happy is there a roll of toilet paper in there?

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Thanks for the pics Happy Chick!! Awesome pics!! I am really wanting to make one of these up for my DH now because he has to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to work everyday!
The packets with the space guy...are those MRE's?? Then next to that...has a water drop on it...are those water purification tablets?
The silver packages with the space man are the freeze dried ice cream, my one yummy item it also weighs nearly nothing. the army rations are the other two packages the blue and white one I have two different kinds two flavors was not sure which one to choose. Yes those are water purification tablets.

lol no I don't have to too bulky and I always have a roll of paper towels in the car anyway. I figured the tissues would suffice after that its whatever's handy lol The great thing about the bag is that there is still quiet a bit of room for whatever else you might want.

Oh and if **** REALLY hit the fan I would take what I needed from where ever. I would never hurt a soul unless I had to but I will do what ever it takes for my ds, sister and I to survive lol Just so you know I dont spend my days thinking about this, well not really anyway what I am trying to say it that I enjoy my life, sleep well and never plan to have to use any of this stuff for the reasons intended.

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My kids think I am much big time crazy... but I keep a medical kit that is huge. I have everything from rubber tubing to old sheet slings. I think it is one of those atomic allert kind of kits really. We have water and food for a week per person and pet. Plus a bug out bag with my meds in it. These things are in tuppers in the shed. Just looks like storage till it is needed. There is a back up in the crawl space of the house just in case. Being in town there is a paranoia that takes me on making duplicate kits. Does anyone remember the old boy scout first aid kit lists? lol
Seriously though, if it all went south we would be okay till we got where we are going even if we had to pack it on foot. It is weird to think about because I have a couple of old neighbors I would have to look after for reasons of the heart. Besides family knows where to go and have their own set ups. We have a traveling history that one day I will have to tell everyone of, so we are good without running water and power. I know that if someone needed a good field compression bandage I can do it.

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You should always have peroxide. It truly has no medicinal purposes, but it will stop bleeding almost instantly. You should also keep small tampons for bloody noses.

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
AHappyChick said:
PamsPride said:
Super glue is now a staple in my first aid kit! 9 yo got his hand cut by a chainsaw...13 yo did it by accident. I took him to the ER and there were no tendions cut so they super glued it! ER said and other people that I have talked to said that stitches are not the norm anymore. I used super glue on DD's toe when she cut it pretty bad a couple of weeks ago and it worked wonders!!
Oh yeah I dont know how I forgot that one! actually the type of glue that crazy glue is was originally invented as a surgical glue, somehow it allows oxygen though or some such thing. My late dh used it a few times as a quick fix when he would cut himself.
It is small and easy to pack in too!

I would LOVE to see some pictures!! I am such a visual person! Could you take a picture of the nap sack and then lay everything out that is in each compartment and take a pic??? Or would that be to hard to do?
There are 7 people (for now) in my family so to have 3 meals for 7 people for 3 days would be 21 meals!! I would have to do a whole separate pack just for food!
We have 72 hour kits where we keep 72 hours of food and water plus a change of summer clothes and a change of winter clothes and an extra pair of shoes and socks. All of the emergency supplies like first aide kit and small tent are divided up between the six backpacks. We use MRE's for food and each MRE kit has an entire days worth of food. We have to update every year to exchange clothes and shoes and every couple of years for the batteries, water and water treatment tablets, but other than that we never have to do anything with them. The websight to buy the MRE's is
http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp_Q_c_E_100_A_name_E_MRE (Meals Ready to Eat)

You can also buy ready made 72 hour kits there as well and just add your clothes.

Latest posts